What are the Differences '95 & '90 SC engines

cntinuum

Greetings!
My '95 SC engine is in pieces right now. I just got access to a '90 SC that was rolled with 25K. Is there other differences between the engines other than the SC, itself, and the right exhaust manifold? In short, I would like to put this '90 engine in my '95 and what parts do I need to swap to do this? Both are 5 spd's.
My casting numbers on my engine are;
F1SE-6015-LA block
E9SE-6090-D7A head
F2SE-9481-BA left exhaust
F4SE-6F076-AF right exhaust
F4SE-6F076-AF Super Charger

What other parts are worth putting up, if they are available?
Thanks,
-Dave

Have you searched the board for info?

Briefly,

cam
heads
front cover
harmonic damper
wiring harness
jackshaft accessory bracket
motor mounts
pistons
connecting rods....to name a few of the differences

Not saying it can't be done but if it were me I'd stick with the 95 engine and build it right.

Greetings!
My '95 SC engine is in pieces right now. I just got access to a '90 SC that was rolled with 25K. Is there other differences between the engines other than the SC, itself, and the right exhaust manifold? In short, I would like to put this '90 engine in my '95 and what parts do I need to swap to do this? Both are 5 spd's.
My casting numbers on my engine are;
F1SE-6015-LA block
E9SE-6090-D7A head
F2SE-9481-BA left exhaust
F4SE-6F076-AF right exhaust
F4SE-6F076-AF Super Charger

What other parts are worth putting up, if they are available?
Thanks,
-Dave

Has someone been into your 95 motor before you? Your heads should be F4SE castings if indeed you have a 95 motor.

Previous work

Has someone been into your 95 motor before you? Your heads should be F4SE castings if indeed you have a 95 motor.
Hi Bob,
Yes, I believe there has been previous work on this engine. The heads have "10 26" stamped on them which tells me they have been machined, at least once. Both casting numbers on the top of the heads are RF-E9SE-6090-D7A, Essex in the the middle area and one head is "19" and one is "22". I though this was strange because I thought 94-95 engines were different from 89-93 engines. If that is true, the casting numbers make no sense to me. The bearings look too good for a 120K engine.
Is there a number on the crank? I see a very light stamping on the front counter weight that I was unable to read.
Thanks Bob,
-Dave

Hi Bob,
Yes, I believe there has been previous work on this engine. The heads have "10 26" stamped on them which tells me they have been machined, at least once. Both casting numbers on the top of the heads are RF-E9SE-6090-D7A, Essex in the the middle area and one head is "19" and one is "22". I though this was strange because I thought 94-95 engines were different from 89-93 engines. If that is true, the casting numbers make no sense to me. The bearings look too good for a 120K engine.
Is there a number on the crank? I see a very light stamping on the front counter weight that I was unable to read.
Thanks Bob,
-Dave

I'm not aware of any crank differences but I wouldn't want to be quoted. I do know that in 94, Ford used a new head casting, which had more aluminum to it, than the E9 castings. When the builder did my motor for me, he specifically wanted the F4 head castings for my engine. I do believe the stock 89-93 cam might be better for performance, as the 94/95 cam was designed for a little better idle. Other than that, I'm not too sure of the differences in the years, other than the front cover and what has already been posted by Duffy. He seems to know the differences better than me.

Differences 89-93 vs 94-95 SC engines

Have you searched the board for info?

Briefly,

cam
heads
front cover
harmonic damper
wiring harness
jackshaft accessory bracket
motor mounts
pistons
connecting rods....to name a few of the differences

Not saying it can't be done but if it were me I'd stick with the 95 engine and build it right.
Thanks Duffy,
I am not sure that answers my question. If I was a purest and rich, I would rebuild the 1995 engine. Oh there seems to be a problem with the heads, they have the wrong casting number, don't they?
Here is what I found as differences, (which doesn't have a thing to do with swapping long blocks)
The rods were improved,
the heads were modified slightly,
the crank was altered.
floating wrist pins,
windage tray,
The timing covers are different,
the crank sensor setup is different
The late models also had a higher compression ratio, I believe 8.3 and 8.5.
a crappier camshaft.
Right exhaust manifold improvements
Numerous electronic components and sensors were changed,
the EEC controller was updated,
the injectors were raised to 36# vs. 30# on the early model cars.
Duffy mentioned harmonic balancer, which was the first reference I have seen.

If I take a '90 SC long block and use the '95 intake, SC, timing cover, & exhaust, it appears to me that I am getting a hotter cam and
giving up on,
an altered crane, floating wrist pins, improved rods, and windage tray.
Since the heads I have seem to be the incorrect for the car, I can't be giving up much there. Some port work on the exhaust side might make up for this difference.
Bottom line for me, is I could have the car back on the road 1/4-1/3rd of what it will take to have the correct 94-95 heads, machine work, and parts to get my car back on the road.

Will I be shot for not taking this rare bird to what it should be?
-Dave

I don't think anyone really cares what you do with the car. With over 100K on the car it isn't a collector's item anyway. Do what works for you.

The 95 shortblock is what's worth a few dollars. The better connecting rod and windage tray are the things that are most noteworthy. The crank is the same as any other year, regardless of what you may have heard. The cylinder heads are all dimensionally the same. Other than a slight modification to the valve cover bosses, the only difference is in the heat treat. The 94 casting was treated to be harder (and consequently more brittle) than the earlier heads, so the 94 castings are therefore more prone to cracking.

The interior coolant passages are different on the 94-95 heads too and this was done to improve deck face rigidity. They are also equipped with powder metal valve guides with solid lubricants to accommodate reduced oil consumption valve steam seals. They have revised fuel rail to accommodate the new isolated magnesium valve covers which had improved baffling and oil ingestion into the PCV system. . The cylinder head bolts were subjected to a longer heat treat for increased strength. The head gaskets were revised to incorporate a new ring wire design for increased hoop strength and sealing pressure at the fire grommet with extended heel. The crankshaft sprocket is a powder metal design new for 94.

The fuel injectors have a new pintle design and a higher flow rate.

Additionally the oil pump was revised for more flow.

94-95 Updates FAQ

In one of my searches, there was 94-95 differences pointing to an FAQ article written in 2002. I don't know how to find it. Seems like all this information that is scattered around in bits and pieces should be added to this FAQ. I believe Bill from Supercoupes wrote the article.
Thanks Dave for your comments. No, my car is far from a collector, today. It is still a '95 5spd which makes it a rare car. Maybe I will keep the short block and as time and money allows, work on making it closer to what it was.
-Dave

Back