I am a newb at this

superchicken78

First things first i have a 1990 SC auto with OD this is my first. I would like to know some small things i can do to bump up some hp. where can i start looking for parts that are credible. I have already done some research but would like some input on where to start.:confused:

First couple things I'd recommend doing are, in order of simplicity:

1) K&N panel filter, or CAI(that might be harder though)
2) Intercooler fan
3) Redo the exhaust (at least replace the resonator with something free flowing, maybe port the collectors)
4) 94/95 style supercharger and inlet.

I've not done this but some people swear by it: Underdrive Pulleys

Once you do those, you start looking into things like putting OD pulleys on, bigger injectors, bigger MAF, bigger TB, and a better intercooler. If you have the heads off, getting them ported would be a really good idea.

intercooler fan, 5% overdrive and a good FULL free flowing exhaust. a net gain of ~10 hp is to be expected, and really makes these cars feel like new.

I've not done this but some people swear by it: Underdrive Pulleys

Be aware that some have had cooling problems with these.

Once you do those, you start looking into things like putting OD pulleys on, bigger injectors, bigger MAF, bigger TB, and a better intercooler. If you have the heads off, getting them ported would be a really good idea.

Also, if you install bigger injectors, MAR, TB, etc. the experts here say you'll have to have it tuned and or install an aftermarket chip and also tune.

First things first i have a 1990 SC auto with OD this is my first. I would like to know some small things i can do to bump up some hp. where can i start looking for parts that are credible. I have already done some research but would like some input on where to start.:confused:

The recommendations so far are real good. A K&N panel filter but also there is a silencer under the stock filter. A sort of elbow that keeps the noise down of the SC. I beleive you have to pull back the inner fender lining to remove. Been a lot of years since I did that. A late model supercharger and 5% as mentioned. A fan on the stock IC at a minimum and the exhaust has a horrible resonator and cats that are very restrictive. Changes those things and you really wake up the performance. An expensive mod to do but one that will make an incredable diffrence in the feel of the car is a lentech valve body. It will make the tranny snap off shifts instead of the grandma shifts these cars do. It will lengthen the life of the tranny and will allow you to lock out overdrive. Shifting into OD while at wide open throttle will shorten the tranny life real quick. About 350 bucks for that but worth every penny. It can be installed by yourself, just a little messy. Another mod that makes these cars that is a little pricey is installing 3.73 gears in the rear. Makes the car feel like it shed 500 lbs. Nice seat of the pants feel. Dont waste any money on a raise top for the supercharger, no performance there unless your running 400 hp. If you install down tubes as part of the exhaust, you can take off the stock exhaust manifolds and port the collector. It is real restrictive and opened up will perform well all the way to 350 HP. Cheap mod if you know some one that can port them for you. A double IC is a nice upgrade. You can sometimes pick up a used one in the parts forum. The computer will pull timing if the ACT temps get high costing you performance on the top end. I wouldnt worry about MAFs or TBs or injectors at the moment. You might consider a bigger fuel pump in the near future. The stock ones are not that great and if it has been in there for almost 20 years it is likely a canidate to replace

Ken

First thing to do is save money. That car is old and some repairs can be expensive (i.e. brake system, brakes, suspension). Thus make sure you budget something each month for just general upkeep of the car.

Second, become a member of the site. I know it a mess right now trying to join, but there are some great threads in the members area that discuss basic bolt ons, including this one which documents HP gains with each change.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98215&highlight=air+silencer

Third, save up for a Quarterhorse and wide band sensor. Most of the changes you do to your car help reliability, but performance increase is hindered due to the stock tune of the car. You'll gain benefit without it, but with it your benefit is maximized.

Fourth, if it has stock exhaust, consider replacing it. When replacing it consider your horsepower goals before selecting the replacement. You don't want to go with pipes too big. The size of the stock exhaust isn't the main problem, it's the configuration with necked down areas, and sharp 90 degree bends.

Fifth, intake side. If you do anything to spin the blower faster, you should get a larger throttle body. The stock unit is restrictive. If it has the stock air silencer, you can remove that, and with the addition of a K&N panel filter you'll sound like you have gained significant HP, if not actually gaining significant HP.

I have a 1990 SC AOD with a 5% overdrive on the blower, custom exhaust, lentech valve body, and K&N Panel filter and over 150k miles(and new head gaskets). Otherwise the car is essentially stock. Best time down the 1/4 mile track with DOT drag tires: 14.663@91.62mph with a 60' at 2.075.

Back