Rear View Mirror keeps falling off.

ricardoa1

Ive used the Permatex stuff 3 times so far. It does not hold. I clean it with a razor and use the activator.

The mirror has the PHOTOCELL eye for the highbeam switch and lights since I have a sunroof. I know its a heavy mutha but what can I use to get it to stick. I need something stronger. It usually falls after a long day of sun.

I experienced this too. I ended up going to a windshield shop and they did it for free because of the laws around here. Never had it fall of since.

Ive used the Permatex stuff 3 times so far. It does not hold. I clean it with a razor and use the activator.

The mirror has the PHOTOCELL eye for the highbeam switch and lights since I have a sunroof. I know its a heavy mutha but what can I use to get it to stick. I need something stronger. It usually falls after a long day of sun.

i repaired mine a while back with the same stuff....

then i got in the car the other day after it sitting for just over a week and the mirror was hanging..

i re-glued the thing back on but havnt installed the mirror yet. worried its gonna fall again...

i need a new windshield so i may just wait till then if it decides to fall off again.:rolleyes: and not only did it rip the glass out of the windshield rather then falling off(the first time)

I had done it once on a car and it fell back off in the heat a year later. The next time I stopped by a glass shop and talked to them. They said they rough the surface of both items , being extremely careful that they only rough where the mirror is going.

To do that, put the mirror against the glass where you want it with the triangular thing attached. Have a person outside help by using a color crayon to outline the triangular thing from outside the car. Then color that in. Now from inside the car, clean off all residue. Use some rubbing alcohol, or brake cleaner to get any and all dirt off there. Get some 150 grit emery cloth and rough up the surface of the glass, and rough up the aluminum piece that touches it. Then clean those off again.

Then when you apply the glue, follow the instructions, but put more glue on both the part and the glass. Hold the metal part up against the glass firmly, and hold it there for a few minutes. yes, minutes. Then let it sit overnight before you put the mirror on.

Same here, I tried a kit, and it fell off again a few days later so went to a glass place and it's been good since ;)

I haven't had trouble with any of the 4 times I've used the permatex glue. :confused:

Did you guys make sure that there wasn't an air bubble trapped in the adhesive? If so, when it gets hot, it'll want to expand and be fighting the smaller amount of glue that is holding it on. If any pieces (no matter how small) of the old adhesive remain, you will most likely have air trapped - possibly a good amount. Cleaning with something like alcohol is a very important part of the procedure too.

I like the idea of roughing up the glass and tab, Mike. As long as there aren't any air bubbles trapped in there, it should hold even better.

I've never had any problems using the over the counter stuff from the parts store.....

I also use tape to hold the mount against the windshield and let that sit for a few days....

I had mine fall off, and I bought the stuff over the counter at walmart I think is where I got it, cleaned it, used the prep stuff you gotta crack first, then the glue, held it for a minute or so, and haven't had any problems. I've even removed it several times when cleaning the inside of my windshield.

Mine also has that "eye" your talking about, with a plug in the back of it. I also have a moon roof, if that matters....

What is the purpose of that "eye" with the switch for "sensitivity"?

I had mine fall off, and I bought the stuff over the counter at walmart I think is where I got it, cleaned it, used the prep stuff you gotta crack first, then the glue, held it for a minute or so, and haven't had any problems. I've even removed it several times when cleaning the inside of my windshield.

Mine also has that "eye" your talking about, with a plug in the back of it. I also have a moon roof, if that matters....

What is the purpose of that "eye" with the switch for "sensitivity"?

If you have the eye then you should have Automatic High beams. The eye pics up oncoming lights and shuts off high beam when you have the system activated. I love that feature.

If your at the shootout Ricardo you wont need the rear view mirror, I will be the car in front of you and my rear view mirror works fine;):D

Ken

If your at the shootout Ricardo you wont need the rear view mirror, I will be the car in front of you and my rear view mirror works fine;):D

Ken

Touche! :D

Besides, why do you need a rearview mirror in the first place? What's-a-behind is no important! ;)

Ira

I like to use epoxy...all the mirrors I've ever had fall of my own and my customers cars I simply use epoxy. Never had problems again.

And yeah, with tinted windows I can hardly see out the back anyway :eek:

well i decided to stick mine back on after sitting for a good 2-3days for the glue to dry..

same deal was hanging buy the wiring the next morning.......

guess ill go without mine till i get my new windshield..

i should take a pic of how it ripped the glass out:eek:

Clean the area, apply the glue in an W pattern on the reciever. Put it on the glass and hold tight pressure on it for atleast 90 seconds without moving. Dont hang the mirror for atleast 24 hours. Longer if its exposed to sunlight...There is better grade stuff than the over the counter stuff but you would have to buy it in bulk. The over the counter works if done right....Major key is to not use too much glue as well...

Last edited:
Back