Lifters

Not that I know of.....

They need hydraulic oil pressure....

If you suspect a bad lifter, then it is best to replace them all....

There are only 12 of them and they are not that expensive.....

in my 95, i had one that was visibly collapsed. replaced it and all is well. you can also disassemble and clean them. the internals are held in by a little circlip.

i also had a ticking noise on my 95 shortly after. balancer had seperated and it was rubbing on the timing cover, sounding like an extremely bad lifter.

the tappet in the suspect lifter stayed down after the rocker and pushrod was removed. it came back up after about 5 minutes. It has been replaced with a new one. gonna button it back up, and hope it's good. They're $9.89 ea. plus tax at Parts Plus, and I just don't have the money to replace them all, or I would.

before you start the engine drop the lifter in some oil and using the pushrod press it a few times to pump out some air and draw in some oil so it doesn't get started dry---it will die quickly under those circumstances............Dan

^i agree with the above, but soaking them in fresh oil overnight is a pretty good plan too.

an old timey remedy for stuck lifters is also 1qt of ATF to substitute a quart of oil. run it for 100 miles or so, then flush and change your oil.

ATF cleanse

As I understand it from my dad, and we all know dad is right!, ATF is more of a high detergent oil and will dissolve more crap. I was taught to add a quart of ATF a little bit before you're next oil change. This way, 4 quarts of oil don't get wasted or used very shortly.
Another product that has been used for years, is Marvel's Mystery Oil. This is amazing stuff.
-Dave

marvels mystery oil.... isnt much of a mystery... its ATF also. ;)

as for the ATf theory, like he said, its just really high detergent and cleans things up a lot.

Back