Yet another squeaking front end...

phils89sc

Ok, my 89 SC has a suspension problem, here are the symptoms...Squeaking, very loud to the point it can be felt in the steering wheel after driven for several miles, while going over bumps, steering right and left, and very loud while turning wheel while sitting still. It will turn to the right no problem while sitting still, but to the right, it becomes harder to steer. No problem with steering at normal driving speed. You can park the car, get out (with both wheels pointed forward), and push the car from the driver's fender left to right, like rocking the car and it will squeak very loudly from the passenger side area.

Here is what the car has had done: Prior to me getting it, new upper control arms with Bilstein struts. The outer tierods look new and are greased and have full range of motion with no binding, boots are intact. The sway bar end links are totally wasted on both side. The lower ball joint boots are broken and ripped on both sides. The rack bushings look intact.

My guess is the lower ball joints. Also, while going down the road, the steering feels loose, but no clunking or anything. When I brake, the car dives to the right to the degree where you have to fight the wheel to keep it straight, letting up when you release the brakes.

Any ideas?

I had a squeaking like that and from the passenger side. I too thought it was the ball joints but mine ended up being squeaking from the top shock tower rubber where it meets the body. I jacked the wheels off the ground, loosened the 3 shock mounting bolts to allow a space bewtween the rubber and the body, squirted some lubricant on the top of the rubber shock mount and retightened everything, wha-la......squeak is gone. I guess the rubber has gotten old and dry which made it start to squeak with movement.

Back