Shift Light

kenewagner

I hooked it up and nothing. Ground wire is easy. An ignition wire & tach feed. Used posi taps to tie in to the wiring going into the EEC. Used the wire chart for the EEC to get the correct Tach feed. Also tied into the red wire for the ignition feed. Started the car up and nothing. Any ideas??

Ken

I hooked it up according to the schematic. Power is #57 and tach signal is #36. Ground is hooked to metal in the dash. Need some constructive input as to what I might have done wrong. I used Posi Taps and Im fairly sure they make a perfect union everytime because of their design.

Ken

Attachments

• EEC wire coloring.JPG
    EEC wire coloring.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 100
  • EEC numbered plug.JPG
    EEC numbered plug.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Shift light wiring.JPG
    Shift light wiring.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 72
Ken... No! Please! No!!! A shift light on YOUR beautiful car? :confused::eek::confused::eek::confused::eek:

It's an automatic! Please don't make it tacky! Maybe there's something in the tune that can be turned on to use the factory upshift light if nothing else.

Ken... No! Please! No!!! A shift light on YOUR beautiful car? :confused::eek::confused::eek::confused::eek:

It's an automatic! Please don't make it tacky! Maybe there's something in the tune that can be turned on to use the factory upshift light if nothing else.

Auto's need shift lights tooo....manual valve bodies ;)

Sounds like you did it right to me but Anthony and I had a problem that turned out to be the contact in the posi-tap...he hasn't been able to get a good datalog of any runs down the strip in forever...we ended up just soldering the wires.............Dan

Ryans right, in fact I lost the first round at the shootout to Ryan because I looked over at him to see where he was and bounced off the rev limiter before I made my shift. He pulled a half car length on me and I couldnt catch him. The new tune will have the rev limiter set a lot higher and a big red light will be saying to me...shift dummy:D:D Manual shifting the car and holding each gear a little longer give a little better ET

Ken

I misread I thought you wired up both a tach and ignition. Its either or. I used the same chart and mine works. Check your connections. Where is the power from it should at least turn on and give you 000 or something like that.

I was worried pulling up to you at the lights in round one, for sure I thought I was done.

What shift light is that? Looks to be the Autometer Digital Pro shift light with the digital readout, which is what I have to install too.

1. May give you a better ET, depends on the car.
2. work can be done to the transmission so that it shifts where you want it to

Well on my car each time I manual shifted the time slip show a better time. On your car with you driving it I could understand why it might not be better:D:D:D

If I program it to shift higher than I would be concern about its street manners

Ken

I was worried pulling up to you at the lights in round one, for sure I thought I was done.

What shift light is that? Looks to be the Autometer Digital Pro shift light with the digital readout, which is what I have to install too.

It is a Stewart Warner Shift light. I check the the ground with a continuity tester and I also ran a ground wire to the negative post on the battery. I beleive I can safely eliminate the ground as a problem which leaves the posi taps as the problem. Likely the ignition wire as I would at least have lights on even if the tach feed was not there.

Ken

PS That run against you was the slowest run of the day for me and I think one of your fastest up to that point in the day

Well on my car each time I manual shifted the time slip show a better time.

That is because the shift points are all to low for your old and new motor.

If memory serves me correct the old transmission in your car would shift from 2-3 at 4500.

On your car with you driving it I could understand why it might not be better.

Who was the first person to get your car into the 13's? Who is 2-0 when driving your car?

Wait... You make all of these unbelievable blower kits and custom fabricated things.... And you're worried about getting a transmission to work how it should? I think you'll be fine :p

1. May give you a better ET, depends on the car.
2. work can be done to the transmission so that it shifts where you want it to

Manually shifting will almost always improve the ET with an AOD...but only if you can hold every gear like you can with a Lentech VB. I try to shift 500 rpms past peak power (about 6500 rpms).

Can't do much of anything with an AOD to make it shift automatically at a precise rpm. You can tighten the TV cable, and change to a mustang high rev govenor, but neither of those will do as well as manually shifting.

When the transmission I've got now wears out or breaks, I'm switching to the same Lentech strip terminator I've got in the turbo car. It's built to handle a 1000 HP, has solid input shaft, full manual VB, electric OD engage, fixed line pressure (no TV cable) and a trans brake.

David

PS: Ken...you can also get a tach signal from any of the three power wires on the coil pack.

Last edited:
Ken,

What ended up being the problem with how you had the shift light wired ? I'm thinking seriously about adding the Stewart Warner 1-5/8" digital shift light to both my SCs over the winter.

David

Ken,

What ended up being the problem with how you had the shift light wired ? I'm thinking seriously about adding the Stewart Warner 1-5/8" digital shift light to both my SCs over the winter.

David

Bad ground wire was the only thing wrong. I think you will like them.

Ken

Back