PDA

View Full Version : I Race My Student and Win

Belisarius
05-27-2010, 11:39 PM
I teach high school photography. One of my students has a 2006 Chrysler 300C and wanted to race. I looked up the closest track, Irwindale, and we went out tonight. I've never raced at a dragstrip ever and neither had he. I'll post the time slip later but here are the results. I'm on the left he's on the right.

Left Right
R/T 1.225 2.211
60' 2.295 2.148
330 6.344 6.075
1/8 9.687 9.278
1/8 73.99 76.56

Left 1st .5778

How about those reaction times. According to my student he was expecting the guy running the tree to start the race by hand. Lucky for me. I definitely need some practice on my R/T.

My car:
'95 5 spd
3" intake, 76 mm MAF 73mm TB
Kooks mid length headers
2.5" true dual mandrel bent exhaust
MP raised top
HD belt tensioner springs
12% OD SC pulley
3.08 Lincoln Mk VIII ring and pinion, LCAs and knuckles with delrin bushes.

KwikGSeX
05-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Ok so you both slept at the light and he handed you your ~~~.. How did you win?

R/T is only good if you're bracket racing..

According to the 1/4 mile converters you were in the neighborhood of a 15.0 and his 300c went closer to 14.40's.. Still a good first time ET but your SC should be capable of more than that easily..

Pratice practice practice!! :D

Belisarius
05-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Being that it was my first time, I thought I did okay. I feathered the throttle right at the start because i thought I was going to get too much wheel spin. On the street, I usually get wheel hop and would have gotten much more spin. This track, with all the rubber was better for me, but I just didn't know it. So the r/t and launch were two areas where I could have picked up quite a bit of time.

At least I was first across the line.

XR7Kurt
05-29-2010, 11:25 PM
R/T is only good if you're bracket racing..
E.T. + R.T. = Time it takes to get down the track after green light goes on.
It matters in every race.

Ok so you both slept at the light and he handed you your ~~~.. How did you win?
He slept almost a second less at the light so he had a .986 second head start. According to your 1/4 mile estimates he would have still won by 3 tenths or so.

So the r/t and launch were two areas where I could have picked up quite a bit of time.

I think you should be able to get 60 ft. times about what he had, but he was definately running you down. What engine did he have, the 345hp hemi?

CMac89
05-30-2010, 09:13 AM
Being that it was my first time, I thought I did okay. I feathered the throttle right at the start because i thought I was going to get too much wheel spin. On the street, I usually get wheel hop and would have gotten much more spin. This track, with all the rubber was better for me, but I just didn't know it. So the r/t and launch were two areas where I could have picked up quite a bit of time.

At least I was first across the line.

Reaction time doesn't have anything to do with your ET. It serves as an earned starting line advantage only.

KwikGSeX
05-30-2010, 10:36 AM
E.T. + R.T. = Time it takes to get down the track after green light goes on.
It matters in every race.

Wrong. The timer does not start until the front tires break the beams. The time it takes for you to release the brake and the tires to start rolling when the light goes green is your reaction time.. Its only useful if you are bracket racing as the R/T will determine the winner at the end of the race.

He slept almost a second less at the light so he had a .986 second head start. According to your 1/4 mile estimates he would have still won by 3 tenths or so.

According to my 1/4 mile estimates the 300c would of beat him by almost 2 car lengths IF they left at the same time.. Either way in the end the 300c is still faster at the end of the race.. Stoplight to stoplight Drag the SC won. Trying to see whos car is faster? The 300C most definitely won..

I think you should be able to get 60 ft. times about what he had, but he was definately running you down. What engine did he have, the 345hp hemi?

Like I said before.. Practice Practice Practice!!

XR7 Dave
05-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Wrong. The timer does not start until the front tires break the beams. The time it takes for you to release the brake and the tires to start rolling when the light goes green is your reaction time.. Its only useful if you are bracket racing as the R/T will determine the winner at the end of the race.

Actually, reaction time is critical in all forms of drag racing. It isn't reflected in the net ET, but drag racers care more about who breaks the win light than who had the faster car. The holeshot is by far the most effective tool in all forms of drag racing, much more so who has the faster car.

1MTNCAT
05-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Actually, reaction time is critical in all forms of drag racing. It isn't reflected in the net ET, but drag racers care more about who breaks the win light than who had the faster car. The holeshot is by far the most effective tool in all forms of drag racing, much more so who has the faster car.

Tell'em Dave.

The longer you sit there reacting the farther down the track the car in the other lane is if he got the better start. Your car may be quicker beam to beam but the question is it quick enough to make up that head start difference. If its heads up, no breakout and you are that much quicker than his thats fine. If its a bracket class etc, that will depend.

I'm with Dave on this, I'd rather have the holeshot/reaction time and hope the other car either can't catch me or if bracket/Class racing (Breaks out trying to make the poor reaction time up) at the other end.

The Dodge was much quicker obviously but he was waiting at the line way to long therefore the win goes to the bird. He couldn't make up the difference.

Belisarius
06-07-2010, 12:24 AM
He had the 5.7l hemi which I think is the 345 h.p. version. I'll be going to the dyno this week to see what I'm putting to the ground and then I think I'm going to spend my bday money on a Moates quarterhorse setup.