Least amount of oil our engines can run on?

ricardoa1

How many quarts can our engines run on safely. I need to flush coolant out the crankcase and dont want to use too much oil to do this. Is 3 quarts enough for the pickup? to idle and flush?

i've been about a quart and a half low on my 95 (has a windage tray though) and no signs of lifters being starved or anything.

i'd do 3 quarts of oil, 1 of atf.

How many quarts can our engines run on safely. I need to flush coolant out the crankcase and dont want to use too much oil to do this. Is 3 quarts enough for the pickup? to idle and flush?

Just go buy some cheap conventional stuff and put the full 5 quarts in.

David

What DN said - I mean, really...risk your motor for a few bucks? Is that even a question?

I used 10 quarts of the cheapest crap in 5 quart buckets from Walmart and 2 of their filters when I flushed my motor.

The first 5 quarts were dumped about 1 minute into the engine starting.
The next 5 quarts after a few more minutes of running.

Then the good stuff and a Wix high quality filter.

I would do what Mike did to be sure it's flushed.

Wix filters (NAPA Gold) are the best filters you can get.

I never knew that. Is it just an equivalent or is it an actual WIX filter? The Napa Gold filters are actually made by WIX.

It is the Premium WIX filter that is rebranded CarQuest, just like the NAPA Gold filter. The NAPA that was close to me moved (about another 10 minutes) so I started going to a CarQuest retail location that is attached to one of their distribution warehouses (so if the part needs to come from the warehouse, a 10 minute wait and I got it in hand). I found out about the Wix at Carquest from that Bob is the oil guy website.

my power steering hose rubbed a hole in my oil filter and dumped all the oil im dumb too i had my guage unhooked cause it leaked
the first sign was lifters collapsing i was dumb like a woman and ignored it , now i prob need a crank or more

Last edited:
Back