Exhausted!! Need opinions on my 89 SC...

phils89sc

Ok, I bought an 89 SC from another user here on the SCCOA. When I bought it, it had a true dual, shop-built setup using non-mandrel bent aluminized piping. It goes from custom 2" down tubes to a Flowmaster dual inlet, dual outlet which goes to dual 2" pipes all the way to the exits at the rear bumper.

My question is, do I need the Flowmaster as a resonator? Should I get that removed in place of an X-pipe, and have like a nice set of mufflers added at the back?? I wish I had pics.

I don't have enough money to do a whole new system, so I am working with what I have for now, I just think it could sound better. I know it is better than stock, but I just don't like the sound, it sounds too tame. I am fully aware that they will never have the V8 sound, and in the past, on my three previous SC's, I have always used the Flowmaster system, which I didn't really like either.

Any suggestions would be awesome. I just want a more throaty sound than what I have, you know? I think muffler(s) would get this done better.

leave the resonator, add a true dual setup from mandrelexhaustsystems.com, and add some fiberglass core mufflers at the rear.

if you do the assembly yourself you'll only be in it about 200-250, depending on the muffler price. i suggest flowtech raptors. low cost, good sound. its readily available at oreilly auto. the mandrel setup will only run you 120 for the aluminized mandrel bent. very good setup, and i believe they offer free shipping on it.

Back