Ok, Anyone ever swapped in a 93-up ABS system in a 89-92?

phils89sc

Or, has anyone shifted to another type of ABS altogether? Going conventional is all well and good, if you don't like ABS, but I do like it, when it is working. Can the later and better 93-up SC ABS be made to work on a 89-92 with the old type ABS? What are we walking about as far as necessary parts? How about ABS out of another type of car altogether? How would the electronics work with a different setup? How much rewiring would have to be done, especially when using a 93-up SC setup?

Thanks in advance

Of course it can be done, but it would be a "tear-the-whole-car-apart" ordeal. The sensors are different, the system has different parts scattered about, the wiring harnesses are integrated into other systems, etc.

I thought about this at one time too, but quickly dismissed the idea. :eek:

I ended up doing the conventional conversion...it's nice. :D

conventional = non abs. its a very nice swap actually. shouldnt be difficult to do, and not costly.

Just change your name and do it.

It looks so much nicer too. :D

It will really clean up the engine bay....seriously....all I did to my stock SC was delete the ABS and it made EVERYTHING look better!!!

my only question with this is wont the ABS and BRAKE lights be on once this mod is done?

im sure mine if figured out so i wont be converting but so i know ahead of time.

does your abs pump still work? do you want to sell it if it does? what other cars have these abs systems? sorry not trying to steal your thread.

I have full schematics for 89 and 94, which I have spent all together too many hours studying for my project. I totally agree that swapping to the new style is not remotely worth the effort. It truly is integrated completely different in the car, once you start...

my only question with this is wont the ABS and BRAKE lights be on once this mod is done?

They don't have to be.

If you rewire the level switch on the new brake reservoir, the red brake light will not only go out, but be operational. I'm not sure if that is covered in the massive ABS delete post or not...if you'd like to know which wires, I can look for you. I just took the wiring diagrams and figured it out...not too hard.

If you remove the ABS computer, or at least unplug it, the ABS light will go out.

Back