Questions about stock springs

90turbo1

so I am sick of the lowered springs on my 1992 SC.

I want to install the stock springs again due to poor roads and crap around here.

but where can I get new stock springs other than ford.

NAPA carries them but when I read description it only says for 3.8L thunderbird.

Did the SC come with different springs than say a LX with 3.8

thanks

so I am sick of the lowered springs on my 1992 SC.

I want to install the stock springs again due to poor roads and crap around here.

but where can I get new stock springs other than ford.

NAPA carries them but when I read description it only says for 3.8L thunderbird.

Did the SC come with different springs than say a LX with 3.8

thanks

SC uses the same springs as the v8 t-bird

David

Do you need a set of stock springs?

Or are you looking for a NEW set?

I have a set from my 90 and a set still in the 93 I am parting out.
I will be keeping 1 of them just in case for the future.

SC uses the same springs as the v8 t-bird

David

They're not exactly the same, but they are close...ish.

Here is a chart. http://www.cintcc.com/mn12performance/mn12-techinfo/springs/springs.htm

I have V8 springs on the front end of my bird and they work okay. The car seems to ride slightly higher than before, even though the spring rate is lower than the stock SC spring rate. I am not sure if that is due to a difference in free length between the two applications, or just because my rear springs are saggy and give the impression that the front is higher. :rolleyes:

Edit: Ah yes, I forgot to mention that it gets slightly more complicated because there were actually more subdivisions of the springs for each model, based on option packages and the associated weight changes (and distribution changes). That is why the spring codes (JJ, KK) are on the spring (if the label hasn't fallen off yet).

I am not even sure that you can still get springs from Ford, or if you can, maybe it's only certain spring codes. I think some at least are unavailable.

Last edited:
WELL CRAP THATS MY PROBLEM.

IF i GO WITH V8 SPRINGS AND THE FRONT RIDES HIGHER i WILL BE NOT VERY HAPPY.

IF i GO WITH WHAT NAPA SAYS ARE SUPER COUPE SPRINGS AND i SCREW UP THE HANDLING i WILL AGAIN BE NOT SO HAPPY.

SO WHAT DO i DO

WELL CRAP THATS MY PROBLEM.

IF i GO WITH V8 SPRINGS AND THE FRONT RIDES HIGHER i WILL BE NOT VERY HAPPY.

IF i GO WITH WHAT NAPA SAYS ARE SUPER COUPE SPRINGS AND i SCREW UP THE HANDLING i WILL AGAIN BE NOT SO HAPPY.

SO WHAT DO i DO

I have a set of stock sc, if you are looking to go that route.

Thanks
Ken

there is deffinatly a difference on the napa site at liest.

the 3.8L shows this

free height 16.88
load height 14
load design 804
spring rate 290
wire diameter .656

the 5.0 (v8 i assume as none in 1992 had a 5.o did they)

free height 17.25
load height 15.0
load design 662
spring rate 301
wire diameter .64

that would deffinatly give the car a front high appearance... if they are the correct spring

Hate to throw in sales pitches, but i have a set of motorcraft front coils with low miles, still have the tags on them.

Something about that seems fishy. Why would the 5.0 spring have a higher spring rate, but a lower design load? The naturally aspirated 3.8 is much lighter than either the 5.0 or the SC. So I would assume that the spring they show is for the 3.8 NA, but then why the higher load? Hmm.

Back