best aftermarket head unit??

cj4ebay

i have a 1990 sc 35th. I have the jbl sound system with the factory cd player still in the car. 2 years ago i located a normal tbird radio to replace my original because that was fried. This one recently went too. I was wondering what is a cheap aftermarket head unit that will work with the original wiring and all. Im not a big audio guy i just want something that will work. thanks all

you can buy harnesses, or at least you used to, that will plug into your radio and then into the existing harness. best bet is to go to your local electronics store and ask them if they have something compatible with a unit that they sell.

i have a 1990 sc 35th. I have the jbl sound system with the factory cd player still in the car. 2 years ago i located a normal tbird radio to replace my original because that was fried. This one recently went too. I was wondering what is a cheap aftermarket head unit that will work with the original wiring and all. Im not a big audio guy i just want something that will work. thanks all

Just go to Best Buy and have them install whatever you want. I had them put Sony head units on both my SCs. If doing it over I would look for something with HD radio and inputs for Ipod or other MP3 players.

David

Last edited:
+1 on neiberts advice. Installation of stereo equipment is easy even on an SC. However, definently let a pro do it. Head units these days have a plethora of options like nav and HD and satellite. Because of that, lower end units which were bad ~~~ only a few short years ago, are relatively inexspensive. Just take 150 bucks to best buy and pick out a fantastic stereo. I like pioneer products, but kenwood makes great heads as well, it's all relAtive. But you will be vey happy with the upgrade. It's also wort upgrading speakers at the same time. You will poo when you hear the difference. :)

Best after market head unit

I just replaced the head unit in my 35th anniversary SC 2 weeks ago. Here are the details of what I got from Crutchfield:
105KDR610 JVC KDR-610 CD Receiver 139.99 139.99

Check it out. They give you everything you need no charge including the special tool for removing the radio. I chose to not use the amplifier in the trunk so you can bypass it with the special harness they supply. The new radio has plenty of power for all the speakers. The new radio also has all the new features so you can plug external sources into the front panel. The CD player also plays MP3 CD's.
You can get to their website at http://www.crutchfield.com/
A high quality unit that is priced right.
Harold

PS I would disconnect the plug from the original CD player. Then pull the cable down from the opening where the radio resides. One less piece of clutter to fight when putting the new radio in. I also took the monitor unit out to push the cables around when pushing the radio in.

Last edited:
yes

you need to get an aftermarket radio with a usb slot on front it is the best thing i ever did no more carrying around cds just throw an 8 gig jump drive full of music and have enough music for months most current radios have them jvc sony pioneer alpine.. oh and dont assume all best buy mobile installers are professionals i have worked for bestbuy for 6 years and still do and would not let our installer touch my car.. changing out stereo is fairly simple job do it your self. talk to the guy who will install and at that time assess if if hes a dunbass.... you dont even have to have a dASH kit aftermarket player just slides in you will need the harness adapter to use factory wiring.. and new speakers are a must stock speakers are pretty bad.. i have infinity 5*7 for front and cerwin vega 5*7 in the back . ps we (bestbuy) just started carrying kicker speakers amps and subs. they sound awesome in the store..

+1 on the jvc units. put a double din with bluetooth, hd and sat radio, ipod, usb and aux inputs in the wifes maxima. added some pioneer components all around with an alpine type-e 10, pushed by a pioneer 700W amp and it sounds supreme.

personally, the kenwood kdc line has done the job for me. had three of them in different cars so far. had the kdc-mp438u, 538u and 638 in my cars. 638 in my 94, 438 in my 95, and the 538 was in the maxima before she decided she wanted a double din. all have ipod, aux, etc. i like the usb in the back personally so the usb stick or ipod isnt plugged in in plain view, glovebox is nice.

i have always been a fan of the alpine units. stick with a mid grade unit and they will last for ever.

also the color of there green seems to match the ford dash lights very nicely.

thanks everyone! i will check it out when i get the money handy to do some changes to the car. i now have the subwoofer and the amp unplugged because one went bad. (pretty sure the sub). because i get a lound punchy sound from the trunk when i had it plugged in and any bass in the song would song like poop. also my right rear speaker is def blown haha. guess i just the head unit and speakers all at once.

+2 on the JVC headunits. I miss the one I had installed in my '95 XR7, and later switched over to the '94 SC. Never had an issue with it, and looked great. It was a black one no volume knobs, and a minimal amount of buttons.

Ahh, did a search. JVC Arsenal KD-960

-Corey

I also suggest MP3 with USB input and RCA out and in. Rest is just preference.

Install on a Ford is super easy get butt splices and the harness and you be ok to do it yourself. If you were more comfortable I'd suggest solder and heat shrink (but then I do that everyday at work, and is the only connection I want to do).

I just replaced the head unit in my 35th anniversary SC 2 weeks ago. Here are the details of what I got from Crutchfield:
105KDR610 JVC KDR-610 CD Receiver 139.99 139.99

Check it out. They give you everything you need no charge including the special tool for removing the radio. I chose to not use the amplifier in the trunk so you can bypass it with the special harness they supply. The new radio has plenty of power for all the speakers. The new radio also has all the new features so you can plug external sources into the front panel. The CD player also plays MP3 CD's.
You can get to their website at http://www.crutchfield.com/
A high quality unit that is priced right.
Harold

PS I would disconnect the plug from the original CD player. Then pull the cable down from the opening where the radio resides. One less piece of clutter to fight when putting the new radio in. I also took the monitor unit out to push the cables around when pushing the radio in.

I second the recommendation for Crutchfield. great service accurate advice, good prices, GREAT install kits and a huge selection.

Sometimes the local shops will have sales with free instaltion if you are nervous.

knowing

knowing a friend who works at bestbuy is even better we get an incredible discount on mobile audio more than half off in some cases... example: 10'' kicker sub sells for $129 my cost through accommodations $39.00 crazy..complete amp install kit sells for $89 with discount $30 so find a friend or make a friend who works at bestbuy .

i just bought a pioneer deh-7200hd off ebay last night

$204 shipped to my door and is an HD receiever that plays mp3s had bluetooth and ipod support and xm radio also has a usb port

it had a bunch of good reviews so i figured why not, its been a while since i've been out the caraudio scene but i recommend you go to an audio place and sample the head unit you desire rather than what someone else wants

and do yourself a favor and get an amp and a component set, the internal amplifier on a head unit is garbage, a nice little 200x2 rms amp and a nice 6.5" component set will really make a HUGE difference

When I used to have my little setup in my old car it was pure ear sex I found myself going on cruises just to listen to music ;)

If you aren't an audiophile, but just want to get the radio working and sounding decent, here is my advice.

1. Find a single-DIN head unit with the features you want and a faceplate you can live with. Try to make sure it is no deeper than the stock radio. Shallower would actually be better because there is a little extra wiring.

2. Remove old head unit and check the fit of your new radio.

3. Don't cut any car wiring. You don't need to.

4. Purchase a harness by Scosche or Metra. It should be called "Ford Premium Sound Integration Harness" or something like that.

5. Match up the head unit's harness to the adapter harness and solder (or crimp) them together. Then plug the harness into the car and the radio, use the supplied DIN mounting bracket, and install the radio. Make sure the wiring doesn't get cut or crimped.

6. See how it sounds.

Some may reply and say you are doing this wrong because you are putting the amplified output of the head unit into the factory JBL amplifier. I know it's not the ideal setup. However, I have done it, and it works. It sounds fine. It may not be audiophile quality, and the volume control is a little touchy, but so what?

If you don't find the sound to your liking, try buying an additional harness called the "Ford Premium Sound Bypass Harness". This plugs in and bypasses the amp in the trunk so all the amplification is done at the head unit. This might help if you find you are getting too much distortion from the previous setup.

I have had many aftermarket head units. The best I have ever had were Pioneer, Eclipse, and Clarion. Worst were believe it or not Sony and JVC. These were all high end units. The lowere end units may be better. My current JVC has everything but navigation and has been a complete disappointment. Especially for the price (700+). I upgraded everything all at once and ordered everything new online from an ebay superstore. Much cheaper. Especially if you are installing it all yourself. My car sounds really good. Just made a bad headunit choice this time around. Look up the model number and brand you want on Crutchfield, then go iver to Ebay and type the model number in. Usually about half price or less...Just make sure to buy from one of the large wholesalers with tens of thousands of transactions. Not the fly by nights selling one or two items...

Consider your needs

Like you said you are not a big audio guy, does that mean you don't have a IPOD, ZUNE, MP3 Player, Cell phone with Blue tooth? Not to knock you if you don't it is just a guage to decide what you need. If you just want replacement...Go with a standard CD/radio..they have gone down to dirt cheap. If you might like to go with the aforementioned goodies then pick a brand, research Car audio reviews and if it is the lowest of the series that company sells go one up. If it is the highest go one down. Then look for it on sale. Replacement of the speakers, to be honest I have had four thunderbirds. Done at least 2 sterios in each so I don't think it is that hard. But if you have never taken off these door panels. Perhaps buy from a store that offers free installs would be best.

Perhaps buy from a store that offers free installs would be best.

2 broken door panels later, it might seem like a worse deal. Just saying, if you don't know the quality of the installers' work, you might want to ask around first.

I have an EQ and a pair of JL 12s in a box (Fit the MN12 as they are in my 97 now) that I will sell you if you are close.

SWS

Back