Emergency brake handle

haroldj

The plastic knob that releases the brake does not stay in and the pawl does not lock the arm in a set position on my 90' SC. The knob falls right out.
I took the console out and there is no spring in the pawl mechanism. It looks like there is not supposed to be one there. There is a spring where the release button enters the handle and there is a small, 3/32" square rod that disengages the pawl when it is pushed in. The knob has a set of prongs that go into the center of the spring and look like they should hook on the spring from the center pushing out. the prongs are damaged and will not hook on the spring. The square piece fits into the knob at the bottom and does not fit tight. It seems like it should be tight in the knob to pull the pawl back. The pawl relies on the square rod being pulled out to push it into the teeth that holds the handle in a brake on position.
Has anyone ever had this repair and how did you do it. Are the plastic release knobs available?
Thanks, Harold

I picked up a good emergency brake controller at Harrys UPULLIT, our local junk yard. The leather is kind of lousy. Does anyone know if you can get the leather off one and put it on another? It almost looks like it is shrunk on.
Harold

Harold, I have the same question about removing and replacing the leather. It does seem to have been shrunk into place over the handle. I'm looking into it and will post into the restoration forum.

Back