Lower front ball joint replacement advice?

phils89sc

I need to change both front lower ball joints. Is this hard to do, or even possible? What speciality tools might be needed? Any tips before I dig in? I am getting my existing front end ready for my 93 spindle conversion. I already have new upper control arms, so those are ready to go.

buy the whole lower control arm with ball joint installed.
both sides are IN STOCK at O'Reilly's.
VERIFY the ball joint nut is the right size!!!
Mine was the wrong nut.
ALSO make sure it is the hardened steel lock nut style, NOT one with a teflon thread lock. DON'T ASK HOW I KNOW!!! JUST TRUST ME!!!

Bolts right in place.

1. jack it up, let the suspension hang
2. remove the ball joint nut
3. remove the strut arm nut and outer bushing
4. remove the shock mount nut and bolt
5. MARK and remove the inner mount cammed nut and bolt
6. pull the arm down from the inside, smack the spindle area so the ball joint comes out and it will damn near fall out.

Yes, you may have a problem getting the ball joint out of the spindle. I had a terrible time of it. Load up on pickle forks, pitman arm pullers, and ball joint separators. Also, you may find it near impossible to get the shock bolt out of the existing arm. You may need to remove the shocks, springs, and control arms as an assembly and press the bolts out.

If you're going to go through all that trouble to do that. You might as well change the whole suspension like I did. If you can afford it that is.

Back