Tranny Advice

bowez

I've roasted my AOD and curious to suggestion on what all to get.

I have: MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 42# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip ,3/4" Raised Top, 3.73 and looking at upgrading to heads and cam form Dave.

I've destroyed two OD bands and now the car does not want to shift, will eventually but have to fit with at every up shift.

Currently I'm looking at Silver Fox 550 AOD with SPT-1 VB.

Is this too much or well suited, Dan suggest a 3000 stall 9.5" TC, for reliability is a stall needed or does it just make it quicker?

How about cooler and where is a good place to put one on a SC, since I'm thinking using one before the factory cooler was thinking on the driver's side so not to obstruct the radiator.

turn overdrive off (by shifting into "d") next time you go for a WOT run... the OD band was never meant to handle all the power these cars put out.

get it rebuilt with a lentech VB and a nice stall, 3000 or so..

I've roasted my AOD and curious to suggestion on what all to get.

I have: MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 42# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip ,3/4" Raised Top, 3.73 and looking at upgrading to heads and cam form Dave.

I've destroyed two OD bands and now the car does not want to shift, will eventually but have to fit with at every up shift.

Currently I'm looking at Silver Fox 550 AOD with SPT-1 VB.

Is this too much or well suited, Dan suggest a 3000 stall 9.5" TC, for reliability is a stall needed or does it just make it quicker?

How about cooler and where is a good place to put one on a SC, since I'm thinking using one before the factory cooler was thinking on the driver's side so not to obstruct the radiator.

Suggest talking with Alan at DirtyDog Performance. I've heard that the Silverfox VB was a good alternative to the Lentech, but have no personal experince with it. I've got the Lentech VB and love it. The converter reccomendation sounds good, assuming you go non locking a good cooler will be required. Like a B&M supercooler with fan. I've got mine mounted inside the front fender under the battery tray area on my 91. If you have a 93 there is an ABS control block in that area that makes locating the cooler there a little more difficult, but it will still fit.

David

Did he suggest a lockup or non lockup converter?

I am using a TCI streetfighter with one of their 10" 3K stall lockup converters with an anti ballooning plate (I highly suggest the ballooning plate as I believe my ballooned last converter help take out my last motor), and definatly like the stall. You need to pick a stall that is right at or just below your max torque and 3K maybe a little high for your setup, 2400-2800 would work good.

As for the cooler there is a large area underneath the battery behind the bumper for a large cooler to be mounted. That is where I installed my cooler and used Fragola 8000 Series push lite race hose to connect. I'd bypass the radiator completely and just run the stand alone cooler.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-13950/

If you are intending to keep driving the car on the street etc, then keep the direct drive (incorrectly called lockup) with that high of a stall... that way the temps won't creep up while cruising around in 3rd and OD and the TC won't be "slipping" in those gears, and fuel mileage won't suffer.

If Alan said 3000 stall, then you'll probably see a stall of about 2600-2700 or so. That 3000 won't be seen unless you have a trans brake. Alan can explain it better.

Fraser

I run Dan's valvebodies on every transmission I build now. I had a direct clutch failure because of a transgo kit and have stopped using them.
I have installed several coolers on these cars, there isn't room for the big one. Your options are the hayden 679 or another unit which is considerably more expensive but it has direct 3/8 inverted flare connections.
Alan

Back