ABS Teves II rebuild? Anyone every done this?

phils89sc

My accumulator is shot, the pump/motor area leaks and the ABS does not work. Can these things be rebuilt / repaired by a competent mechanic (myself)?

My accumulator is shot, the pump/motor area leaks and the ABS does not work. Can these things be rebuilt / repaired by a competent mechanic (myself)?

It is being done by the rebuild shops. The biggest issue is noone sells a rebuild kit. I am not sure if anyone knows the Ford part numbers for the soft parts.

Recharged and new accumulators are easy to find (spinning wheels, Ebay, parts stores). Motors are harder to find but Big-E has some.

If you only leaks are in the pump motor than you can probably fix what you've got. If yours is like mine was and the leak is around the shaft then you would have to find out what the soft parts are.

The accumulator design doesn't support a recharge. If someone had claimed to recharge one, I'd be dubious, as much of the issue is elastomer breakdown over time allowing the nitrogen gas to escape. Since you can't replace the elastomer, I'm not sure how you rebuild that.

The electric motor can be rebuilt, though it is not a common part, and if something significant needs replacing (beyond a rewind, and brushes) it can be pricey to source the parts.

You could pull apart the valve body and inspect the solenoids. I've not heard of anyone repairing the solenoids in our units, but I know some have repaired solenoids in Teves Mark II units for other applications.

If your unit is leaking, most likely the nose seal in the electric motor failed and fluid is entering the motor housing and leaking out.

Back