Transmission Oil Temperature

kenewagner

What is the range of temps for the AOD? Need to know to see if I will have to upgrade the Tranny cooler

Ken

I just did an install on a 4r70w Thunderbird and trans fluid temps went from average 170-190 down to 160-175. In series after the radiator cooler.

- Dan

Everything I've seen says automatic transmission pan temps should be 175 to 200 degrees (F) and not exceed 275(f) for anything but very short periods and not be cooler than 150.

I took my car out for a 30 minute drive. Yes I said I drove it. Mostly in town and stop and go traffic. I mounted a sensor in the tranny pan and when I finally parked it it was 210 degrees. I have it going into the bottom of the radiator and than to a cooler with a fan blowing through it. I didnt find anything about max temp when searching so I just threw the question out there. For most SCs it is not a concern but the small non locking TQ converter obviously makes a lot of heat. I might have to but a block of wood under the pedal. It frys the tires everytime I dip into the throttle to much:D

Ken

Ideal range is between 160-180. Every 20 degrees above 170 cuts the fluid life in half. If it never goes above 170, you only need to change the fluid every 50,000 miles. According to Jerry.

- Dan

I mounted a sensor in the tranny pan and when I finally parked it it was 210 degrees.

I have it going into the bottom of the radiator and than to a cooler with a fan blowing through it.

Ken, cap off the radiator and try it running just through your cooler. Running it through the radiator will actually heat up the fluid. Unless you plan to drive your car around in the snow, there is no reason to be heating the fluid. Just let it warm up before driving too far.

If you still see the temp get up to 210, you'll need a better heat exchanger. It is not uncommon for non-locking, performance oriented torque converters to need additional cooling.

210 is a little high if it were me, I'm aiming for 180 no higher. I have a 10" 3000 stall locking converter. I just installed this cooler and Fragola Series 8000 Push Lite Race Hose -6 lines this week. Should be plenty of cooling that I will ever need. I can snap some pictures of where its located, and the fittings I used if you would like them.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-13950/

Ken,

Just reviving an old thread to see if your trans temps are still about the same with the hotter summer temps now. My new trans with the non locker ran about 180 this morning all the way to work, should be a little warmer this afternoon as its supposed to be about 95. I was getting temps of 195-200 cruising around town last nite, I may add a second cooler.

Anyways I have been doing some research over on ClickClickRacing and Dan from Silverfox recommends a bottle of Lubegard with every AOD fillup. It seems like some good stuff and is also supposed to lower the trans temps. I am going to siphon out a pint tonite add the Lubegard and drive it to see if the temps change.

http://www.lubegard.com/C-112/LUBEGARD+Automatic+Transmission+Fluid+Protectant

Ken,

Just reviving an old thread to see if your trans temps are still about the same with the hotter summer temps now. My new trans with the non locker ran about 180 this morning all the way to work, should be a little warmer this afternoon as its supposed to be about 95. I was getting temps of 195-200 cruising around town last nite, I may add a second cooler.

Anyways I have been doing some research over on ClickClickRacing and Dan from Silverfox recommends a bottle of Lubegard with every AOD fillup. It seems like some good stuff and is also supposed to lower the trans temps. I am going to siphon out a pint tonite add the Lubegard and drive it to see if the temps change.

http://www.lubegard.com/C-112/LUBEGARD+Automatic+Transmission+Fluid+Protectant

I have had the car down lately redoing grounds on it. That and it seems to rain all the time here and I have not driven the car a lot. Gonna play with it some in the next few days:D

Ken

this is a rule of thumb that ive gone by. 160-180 is good. 195 is average and anything over 215 burns up clutches. if your running a high stall then i suggest using the rad cool before going to an external. that way the rad cooler takes the blunt of the heat and the external can super cool the fluid. you can use thermal relays on the tranny to control the cooling fan for the external to help keep an average temp.

Back