Engine Studder, Gauges Went Crazy, STALL!!

ace7wild

This first happened last week. All of a sudden while cruising at about 40MPH in town my SC started to studder, the Tach was bouncing back rapidly from 0-MAX, all lights came on gauge cluster, and then the engine eventually stalled. I was able to turn into the center lane of the road that I was on and luckily I was able to come to a stop at a road that connects to my neighborhood. Got it started after some slight hesitation, bogged a little and studdered and limped it home with some slight studdering. Started it up the next morning no problems let it run in the driveway for about 15 minutes, let it run at about 3,000RPM for about 20 secs or so and everything was fine. Took it for a ride today everything was good running to the store but on the way back a different story!! Did the exact same thing!! Again i was lucky to turn into turning lane near my buddies house, limped it there. Sat in his driveway for a while but no luck in getting it started back up!!

I read a few threads where it could possibily be the crank position sensor or maybe even the DIS module. I know where the DIS module is at, I have a few spares that were in my trunk and plugged one of them in and still didnt start up. Some of the wires leading up to this DIS module look to be in rough shape. I had to put electrial tape on a wire where copper was showing. Not sure if that could have maybe caused an issue.

Any advice from you experts out there? I'm no car genious, let alone my complicated SC, but it definetly seems like an electrical issue.

Thanks in advance!!

you need to have the dis seated for it to get a ground and it must have some kind of heat sink compound under it..

to me sounds like the dis is acting up but aint for sure.

guages went crazy indicates dead battery or loose battery terminal or bad ground . one time on a hard left turn my battery terminal would touch the hood and kill everything. the only other things thad made my car that goofy was fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump

Last edited:
Alright I'm gunna have to get it towed tomorrow and take it to the shop. I'll mention these to them as a starting point to pinpoint the problem.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Any luck on this? Mine is doing the exact same thing. I got stuck on I94 in Chicago, took the battery cables off and put them back on and she ran fine back home. But now is doing the same thing again. Any advice would be great!

Back