OK!! Looks like I am going with the PBR Conversion!!

phils89sc

I have a set of PBR calipers from an 2000 GT on the way with brackets and lines. Since the lines are still attached, does that mean I don't have to buy the banjo bolts? I also have, on the way, the 93 spindles and new rotors (10.87" rotors).

I am on my way!! I got a pretty good deal on the calipers, or else I would have gone with the Mark 8 11.5" rotors.

Any more tips before I start the conversions?

The Mustang lines will not work, they are a different thread. You must use your Tbird lines and modify them accordingly, along with getting the correct banjo bolts. See the tech articles over on TCCOA or our FAQ for the full write ups on the swap.

I usually modify the caliper. The banjo bolts are hard to get. I have to go to the dealer and they aren't cheap. Ont he other hand there are 2 mn-12's in my driveway and one fn-10. All have the PBR's now.
Alan

Maybe I was unclear about the banjo bolts...

What I mean't was, I know I cannot use the Mustang brake lines, but, the lines for the calipers I bought are still bolted to the calipers. Are the mustang bolts that bolt the lines to the calipers the ones that I need (aka banjo bolts)?

I think the tbird bolt works fine...that is what I used on mine...you just need to shave the bolt housing a smidge to fit on the caliper.

you need to get the coarse threads for the mustang the tbird ones are fine thread and different pitch. they bolts go for about $25/pr. yo can find them o ebay or discbrakesrus.com or just google, cobra banjo bolts 99-04

So again with the banjo bolts...

Why can't I just use the banjo bolts that are coming with the 2002 GT PBR calipers that I am getting? Why would I have to purchase more if they are already with the calipers I bought?

i didn't buy new cAlipers!

The calipers I got are off Ebay and still have the brake lines attached with the Mustang bolt. I know I cannot use the lines, but I should be able to use the banjo bolts. Are we talking about the same bolts here?

You should be able to use the banjo bolts that are coming with your calipers. I bought reman calipers from Ford when I did the swap and the correct banjo bolts were included with the calipers.

you need to get the coarse threads for the mustang the tbird ones are fine thread and different pitch. they bolts go for about $25/pr. yo can find them o ebay or discbrakesrus.com or just google, cobra banjo bolts 99-04

The cobra banjo bolts changed threads over the years as well, 99/01 are fine thread and 03-04 are coarse

I am going to paint them black or gunmetal grey...

I think I am going to paint the wheels like a dark grey metallic I think. Just to be different.

The wheels...

I am going to paint the wheels the dark metallic grey. As for the calipers, I might go with an aluminum color or black. Not quite sure yet.

I just did this conversion yesterday on the 24hrs of lemons car. The banjo bolts that came with the PBRs will work with your tbird lines. Just make sure to get new brass washers. You will need the newer style spindles, I think 93+, if you don't have them already. You will need to grind down a little bit on the spindle for clearance for the caliper. Everything will bolt up fine without grinding, but it is real close, and as the pad wears down it will start to hit. Also, you will need to get front sway bar links for the newer style spindles (again, if you don't already have them on there). Also, you will need to grind away a bit on the caliper where the line bolts up.

It really ain't that bad of an install as long as all the parts come of easily and the new parts are the right ones. It should be a smooth install.

Back