I have a tough choice...

funderbird

I have always wanted a supercoupe...I have A 1996 green LX4.6 88,000 miles fading clear coat and loose front bumper...Could use a couple of things.

I have found a 1995 SC perfect, Leather interiror,paint, tires, engine compartment. and a sunroof...Just not the color I would like...And it has 203,000 miles.

Should I keep the 96, spend 1500 on interior, 2000 on paint replacing bumper adding skirts. then new rims to make it all pop...or buy this SC with crazy amount of miles?

I am on the edge of a desision, just need a push either way...One more thing, how much to rebuild a drive train in an SC?

Ownership cost of an SC is not for the for everyone. But they are unique and can offer a feeling that your LX will not give you...You will need the LX to get to work in the morning if you pick up the SC.. LOL
Your LX sounds like it has potential though. I would pick it up and beat the LX till the engine blows..get the high mileage SC to spec then crush the LX.

THnaks

Fortunately, I live 1.3 miles from work, 2 miles from kids school and I own a 2007 M50 and just bought the wife a 2011 Kia Sorento...The SC is a Possible Fathers day gift or to fix up the LX...I have only driven a SC once in 1994, it was a 89 auto and beat to hell. So I am starting to fall over to the SC...Thanks

do it. with enough patience and care, an sc with high mileage is just a number. i recall a VERY mint looking 95 on here that let go of the gaskets and got sold on here... had 300+ on the ticker. if i had the resources, i wouldnt have thought twice about buying it.

the high mileage is just less incentive to keep it stock.

freshen up the shortblock and suspension, clean up the interior, add a few bolt ons, and dont look back. :D

Not knocking the LX's, but Rico is 100% correct...the SC is much more unique and, honestly, it's also a unique part of Ford history. Just have to deal with how tempermental they are...that's why many of us seem to have two or more!!!

Find a lower mileage SC to buy if you really want one. You'll save money in the long run. SC's aren't any different from any other car: High miles = More wear = More $$$ in immediate or eventual repairs.

If mileage didn't effect cars, then it wouldn't impact value. But it does.

JD

I disagree, they are all old. Look for a great interior and solid body. The suspension stuff either has recently been replaced or needs to be.
Alan

This is my 3rd Thunderbird. I owned an 83 with a 5.0 and an 89 with a 5.0. I was actually looking for a early 80's T-Bird with a 5.0 when I stumbled on the SC I have now. Was very unsure of the 6 cylinder but then again it was supercharged so I put my down payment on it and drove 3 hours for a test drive. The car sat low and had a formidable stance on the road. I sat in the seat and it felt like my recliner at home. Started her up and was mildly impressed by the sound, this car was all stock by the way. I took it for a spin up the road and fell in love right then and there. I hauled A all the way home and it took the corners like it was on rails. I still kinda miss the throaty 5.0 sound but after a few minor alterations my SC sounds even better. The car was my ahead of its time in design and is kinda complicated and down right frustrating to work on but when she is running, she's runs as good if not better than any V-8 I have ever had. My car is ALL stock and I have eaten every GT mustang I have come against that was stock. You see LX Thunderbird everywhere but won't see many SC's. If you just want a car get an LX, if you want a driving experience, get an SC....:cool:

Back