Oiled or dry air filter ?

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
I just cleaned my 4 year old S&B power stack air filter using the K&N cleaner kit, but I'm not sure if I want to put any oil back on the filter. I always get concerned about getting too much oil on the filter and contaminating the mass air sensor. I'm also thinking that the non oiled filter may flow a little better.

What do you guys think ?

David

I have heard that the oil is what helps the filter element catch the dirt, so by not putting it back on it would reduce its filtering efficiency.

If your concerned you over oiled let it set for several hours or a day then blow it out or, run the car for a few minutes w/o the MAF.

Last I knew, S&B's website had a guide that told you how much oil to put on a particular filter. That should help avoid over-oiling it.

I switched to a non-oiled Amsoil filter, though. It's pretty nice.

I found this interesting compariso test while surfing. In this guy's experience, it seems like there isn't too much difference between types.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=70

The link listed tested the old AMSOIL Oil wetted Foam Air Filter not the new EA Air Filter which uses nano fiber filter media. Which is the most efficient filter media on the maket today that does not need oiling. ( Same type media used in the Abrams Tank). Clean it with either a vacum or blow the dirt off with low pressure air. Here is link to the EAaU air filters available from AMSOIL. http://www.amsoil.com/products/ea_filters/eaau_photos_and_specs.pdf

AMSOIL also has a pre-filter that goes over the EAaU Air Filters which are water resistant.

Ralph

Last edited:
If the filter is designed for oiling... you must oil it as it is the oil that provides the filtering down to the lower particle sizes.

Nearly every one puts too much oil on their filter. The filters don't need that much. Just enough to coat the cotton fibers watching the red trace color.

Back