Anyone ever crossdrilled there own rotors?

phils89sc

Just wondering if anyone had ever done this on a set of stock rotors? If you start out with a set of quality rotors, a good drill press and a pattern, could this work?

You could, but for the amount of time, dill bits, and countersinks you will go thru it would be cost effective to just buy a set. You would also have to make the pattern so it hits in the open cavity between the two surfaces on every hole.

All of the Crossdrilled rotors Ive seen get Grooves on the rotor surface where the holes are drilled after some time.

- Dan

I cross drilled the stock rotors back in about 1996. I ran the same rotors until about 2005 when they became so cracked they weren't safe anymore. No ill effects other than the cracks. Took me about an hour with a rotating drill table and drill press.

I love cross drilled rotors. Defiantly worth the extra cost. I have been using cross drilled KVR's since 1997.

Some times you have to fight with the machine shop to get them to run the brake lathe at a slower speed but I was always able to get it done. Wrote a resurfacing procedure about it back in 99, here.
:D

I've always had slotted rotors on all my cars. Was never a real big fan of cross drilled. Actually the only reason I have my current 13" Baer slotted drilled rotors bc they had them in stock and ready to ship. If i wanted to get slotted only I'd have to wait 2-3 weeks. Lol

I wanted my car to be ready for Carlisle. They're kinda growing on me now anyway. Ha. Now I just gotta do my rears.

I bought cheap ebay rotors a couple years ago and always had a vibration from the rear. When I put the rotors up on the lathe I learned why. They aren't bad rotors if you have machines to straighten them out. Otherwise you are definately better off buying better brands.
Alan

thats some what true but not for all brands. i had a set i thought were powerslot but were power stop lol they were good for a while warped bad. than i got them recut, they just crumbled up and started flaking.

There are lots of brake manufacturers who will tell you that cross drilled rotors are worse than plain rotors: Stoptech, Baer, etc. But since drilled vs. plain rotor threads always turn into shouting matches, now that I've said my bit, I'm out of here. It's your car, do what you want.

I've heard that the only reason people think drilled/slotted rotors are better than plain rotors are because the drilled and slotted rotors were used on porche and other high end cars.

the high end cars actually drilled and slotted their rotors to reduce braking performance since there was less surface area for the brake pad to rub against, but the average joe thought they were used to increase braking performance.

just sayin'.

I will tell you the reason I like cross drilled. I used to warp the stock brakes two(2) times a year with my Cougar. I like to start fast at a light, hit the speed limit and stop hard when it turns red. Hard driving causes excess heat build up on the rotors and with the cross drilled (assuming the holes are clear) seem to cool it down more so, in theory, when you hit the brakes the rotors do not generate as much heat as the stock rotors and have less tendency to warp when broken in correctly.

The downside is that you can not use cheap pads and sometimes you have to argue when you get them cut. I tried cheap pads and on one occasion they lasted a month. I have settled with KVR performance pads because they last the longest (I am sure there is another brand that will do the same) and I was too lazy to experiment. :eek:

The fronts usually last one year where the rears last two years when used on a hard driven daily driver (on hilly terrain -- approx. 20-25k per year). I usually cut my front x-drilled rotors once every two years and my rear when they need it.

Besides not warping as easily they feel like they stop faster? :confused:

I never tried slotted rotors because they look harder to cut. Not sure if this is true. Other than that I have no opinion.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Slotted helps with gassing issue and drilled helps with heat.

If you have neither problem standard is what you need.

There are lots of brake manufacturers who will tell you that cross drilled rotors are worse than plain rotors: Stoptech, Baer, etc. But since drilled vs. plain rotor threads always turn into shouting matches, now that I've said my bit, I'm out of here. It's your car, do what you want.

thats funny. ive never heard a brake companys say that. especially about their own product. ive talked to numerous. they all just say it buyers choice or how hard you brake etc

I warped a pair of plain stock rotors doing 5 parade laps around Road Atlanta. I ran about 80 laps at high speed with KVR cross drilled and didn't warp them at all even though the brakes were smoking after the 1st 30 min session. They did crack though. The cracks are all light surface cracks and most came out with resurfacing. In normal daily driving they didn't crack.

Back