Tranny recommendations....from Carlisle Pic thread

Need a new tranny very soon. What should I do?

• Total voters
I can get this done reasonably using a low mileage used unit. For that matter if it drives you coudl just bring it down and I can make it all happen including a cooler and a nice converter.
Alan

I can't believe the people voting to build the current 4r70w. They must not know that pre96 4r70ws are junk waiting to break.
Alan

I did not vote (still mulling it over) but my transmission is pre 96, it takes a ton of torque and you liked it. Please tell me why another is better?
:confused:

Last edited:
I did not vote (still mulling it over) but my transmission is pre 96, it takes a ton of torque and you liked it. Please tell me why another is better?

The newer 4R70Ws have better cases, which are strengthened and have revised exhaust ports, which provide better performance and longevity.

keep the ideas and votes coming lol

keep in mind i don't want a racing tranny. just next step up from stock.

Your transmission which is all your engine ever will require still doesn't even compare to the needs of a supercoupe. The low end grunt of these motors and desire to be "loaded" makes them need a better transmission. Plus there is the factor of many upgrades inside your transmission which make it work at all, not to mention the racing factor. Your "torque" motor which would be great to tow a small trailor does not get raced or even abused to the level of most people who consider themselves to be "enthusiasts". Plain and simple my aggressive, possibly abusive driving and/or racing style is considerably harder on the unit than the old man cruiser you have built. I'm not knocking or insulting your ride but that is what it is. We just do different things. When was the last time you made 17 passes down the 1/4 back to back without even so much as a stop to use the bathroom? I can tell you when I have done it. JP (driller) and myself hotlapped over and over for well over an hour the last year the shootout was at Kilcare. Then there becomes the factor of cost. It is cheaper to buy a late model transmission than it is to install late model parts into an early inferior case.
Alan

no offense taken.I know your try to prove a point. I want something nice for a nice price. I will definitely be giving you call monday.

So you're saying to get a mustang tranny lol What should I be looking for so I can start my search and are too crazy for the sc?

That comment was directed towards J.Miller, but I look forward to your call monday.
Alan

Last edited:
Your transmission which is all your engine ever will require still doesn't even compare to the needs of a supercoupe. The low end grunt of these motors and desire Plain and simple my aggressive, possibly abusive driving and/or racing style is considerably harder on the unit than the old man cruiser you have built.

See that is the problem you have. When you mess up or someone asks a tuff question you resort to aggression.

You know it is an old ArtCarr track/strip tranny. I have a lead foot and many people refuse to ride in my car because they do not like getting thrown in the back seat. I do this all the time.

So stop talking trash and start talking turkey? How about some technical reasons. I know you have them?

It is cheaper to buy a late model transmission than it is to install late model parts into an early inferior case.

That is the only good comment. How much cheaper?

Last edited:
See that is the problem you have. When you mess up or someone asks a tuff question you resort to aggression.

You know it is an old ArtCarr track/strip tranny. I have a lead foot and many people refuse to ride in my car because they do not like getting thrown in the back seat. I do this all the time.

So stop talking trash and start talking turkey? How about some technical reasons. I know you have them?

That is the only good comment. How much cheaper?

It is only aggression in your eyes John, please don't make me dig your quotes out of other threads. I am not trying to beat you up.
Alan

Come on you bashed my 5.4L and compared it against a SC, as far as I know you own neither vehicle and thus have no qualification to make such a comparison. I own both vehicles.

Now back to the subject at hand. Hey, I have no doubt do great work at your shop. I was one of the first to see it first hand, I still have the pictures. I am starting to think that I should take the ride with Crash and then we can have a few beers and end this silliness... If there is time, I am about due for pair of right side SC 5 speed half shafts...
:eek:

No John you take everything as bashing. I'm all for people doing different things, but comparing your engine to a SC engine is like comparing watermelons to grapes.
As far as cost goes it will vary from case to case, but it is always cheaper to start witht he later model core unless you are paying $1000 for the core. The reverse drum will always be needed and that is about $150, then the planet and sun gears will easily put you over $400 in parts. That is just a tip of the iceburg. I would suggest using the markVIII halfshafts.
Alan

You are the one who brought it up, nothing personal, but I have to respond since people believe misinformation, even if it is in fun and said enough times.

Enough said, lets move on and get back to topic. As you said, I guess the decision comes down to the cost of the core vs the application. Would he have to shop for a newer core or do you have access to one?

If not, I will even try some of my contacts to see if I can get lucky... If so please specify what he needs to look for?

Last edited:
You said yours has held up, that is comparison to me. I can usually get cores but like anything I have to call the place I get them from during business hours to be sure.
According to car-part.com Strickers (very local to me and high quality) has a unit for $650 plus tax and probably core. I have a contact there I can usually buy it as a builder with no warranty and get the core waived. It is an 02 mustang 3.8.
Alan

You two get a room!

Seriously. Knowing what I know now and didnt knwo 10 years ago I would NEVER EVER BUILD a 94-95 transmission even using good later model parts (which I did back then). For the cheap price a 3.8 core will cost its well worth it.

The reason I originally said goto Alan is because there are certain things Art Carr, Level 10 and a multitude of other places just dont know to do to these transmissions let alone know how to properly convert a later model trans to an earlier car (simple but you need to know what to do)

I cant even begin to tlel you what greif that ~~~ transmission caused me years ago....SERIOUSLY.

Strickers is the only place I will deal with on this stuff. They are a whole new dimension of salvage. Most places buy whatever cars are left at the auction cheap, these guys go pick the stuff with the best parts. If they say it has 6,000 miles on it I believe them. A few other places I have dealt with will tell you anything to make the sale. I have been doing business with Strickers for over 10 years and have never gotten a bad part from them. When I am forced to go elsewhere because they don't have what I need it ends up being about 50% chance of getting good parts. They have a bunch of other units the lowest price decent unit I saw was 61,000 miles for $450.
Alan

Back