PDA

View Full Version : Epic fail!!!!!

XxSlowpokexX
06-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Dont ya just love pulling the top half of your engine off to find out your HEAD GASKETS ARE FINE!

Well attached are some wonderful photos of my adventure for a few hours earlier in the afternoon. No bent valves/pushrods either!

Now if you look at the last two photos it appears antifreeze may have been comming out of my head....Unsure but that looks like it. Maybe cracked? Im figuring if it is perhaps someone here has already done it! I scraped the residue off and it didnt look cracked....ANYWAYS that sall I found

XR7 Dave
06-12-2010, 07:11 PM
You got the epic fail part right. That head is severely cracked. It can be welded up, but it's pretty bad already at this point.

Doesn't explain your running issues, but it does suck.

spetz01
06-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Right in the front street too lol!! That's hot. Antifreeze running down the gutter :)

J dot Miller
06-12-2010, 07:26 PM
What a drag! :confused:

Look at the bright side if you end up buying heads you minus well get them ported? :rolleyes:

XxSlowpokexX
06-12-2010, 10:34 PM
How the heck did I crack a head..That can explain the running hot I guess.

Actually I didnt let the antifreeze just run out. I did however spill some and hosed it down..And yes..RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE..

AGAIN ...CRACKED HEAD:eek::eek::eek:

I guess youve seen that before... Dammit..more money that I dont have right now!

Anyone want to buy a limited edition Carlisle t shirt? lol

XxSlowpokexX
06-12-2010, 10:38 PM
What a drag! :confused:

Look at the bright side if you end up buying heads you minus well get them ported? :rolleyes:

THEY WERE ALREADY PORTED!!!!!!!!

Come to think of it I had been smelling antifreeze now and again since I did gaskets last year...Maybe they busted when I blew em

Blackened300A
06-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Anyone want to buy a limited edition Carlisle t shirt? lol

That made me LOL.

Mike Puckett
06-13-2010, 05:46 AM
I had a ported head do that, actually cracked worse than yours from plug hole to plug to plug hole and even down the plug threads. I ended up tossing it and replaced it. If you look at your head photo you can see the crack.

DrFishbone
06-13-2010, 08:15 AM
That sucks man....nice house though! :D

S_Mazza
06-13-2010, 02:19 PM
It is a shame that the head is cracked now that the work of porting has gone into them. Maybe it's fixable, though.

I don't suppose the fact that they were ported has anything to do with the crack though, do you? I mean, the area in which they cracked is far from the main areas that get worked over.

XR7 Dave
06-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Detonation caused it.

XxSlowpokexX
06-13-2010, 02:49 PM
It may have happened last year when I blew my gaskets. Its juts strange things happen with my SC that I venever seen before. For instance usually when detonating Id see a piston issue or maybe even a valve issue..But a cracked head with the valves still being good!!!

Gotta love this car

It looked cracked but when I cleaned teh crap off i couldnt see it..However...I mean where else would antifreeze be comming from!

XR7 Dave
06-13-2010, 04:48 PM
When a detonation event occurs, the extreme cylinder pressure flexes the head along the spark plug line. Cracks are common when a motor has been detonated, and it's worse on the 94/5 motors by far. I'll bet lunch that yours are F4 castings. I'd say it's about 10:1 or higher that an F4 casting cracks before and E9 casting does.

The heat treat on the F4 castings was revised to make the material harder - and a side effect of harder material is that it cracks easier.

XxSlowpokexX
06-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Ive just never had this ever happen before. But when I blew my gaskets last year it was a real catastrophic blow...Now to save up to get some heads done...LOVELY!

At least I can get a nice set done I supposse for a few more ponies

Lil Mikey
06-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Bummer! I cracked a piston a few years back due to detonation. I do have an extra head kicking around the garage if you don't happen to have one sitting on a shelf somewhere. Let me know if you're interested.

Mike

XxSlowpokexX
06-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Bummer! I cracked a piston a few years back due to detonation. I do have an extra head kicking around the garage if you don't happen to have one sitting on a shelf somewhere. Let me know if you're interested.

Mike

Thanks Mike..Im just going to get another set done

Tim Groth
06-13-2010, 11:50 PM
I have like 5 sets or so here also damon if you need some...HELP ME CLEAR SPACE ;)

-Tim

Toms-SC
06-14-2010, 01:02 AM
That is crazy. Sorry Daemon.

Nice house though...

XxSlowpokexX
06-14-2010, 10:37 AM
I will end up selling it to build a garage that I can actually fit my sc in..But thanks guys! Still fixing the house up much like my SC!

Anyone have some ported heads lyin around? ":D

ricardoa1
06-14-2010, 10:48 AM
I dont have ported heads but I have some F4 heads and some E9 heads aswell. Not sure if you need them....but if you do we can work out a transaction since i still owe you money. ;)

Dont you have one of those super duper heads somewhere that were going into the red car...Why dont you put those on the teal car? Along with the 2.3l Whipple....Make the red car your daily driver so you dont have to shift....? Or put the teal back to stock and work on the red car.....Sounds like teal is turning into a big project, and you have too many things going at the same time.

Ken Seegers
06-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Damon,
hey your neighbors must love you! $1.3million condos next to a guy who is tearing his car apart. j/k. that sucks.
Ken

XxSlowpokexX
06-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Damon,
hey your neighbors must love you! $1.3million condos next to a guy who is tearing his car apart. j/k. that sucks.
Ken

Yah well you know lol

I was actually thinking about putting the motor from red car into teal car with the smaller cam thats currently in the teal car. I like the teal car I just dont want to make it into a monster.

If I put the red car to stock for now I can wait till later...Then do something with my larger AR. Ultimately the red car would be the fast one and the teal my highway cruiser

And I do have way to many things going on. Car wise I may just dump a few..Literally dump. To much stress too much work.

Lately I been blowing my cash on the house. Just stuck a new roof on it. Took me a month to deciede what I wanted. I was looking into artificial slate roofs as the standard issue asphaltic was just not an option!!. I ended up settling on a CertainTeed Grand Manor Colonial Slate roof. Limited Lifetime Warrenty which is the best in the industry. Of course it makes the rest of the house look like crap. Kind of like throwing a set of super exotic rims on a beat up car. So that brings me to the updating of the half timbering and stucco on the house, windows...And then.....You know it just never ends be it a car, a house, a woman....Whatever it is...Stressful and costly! AND STILL....A garage that can barely fit a VW beetle in!

ricardoa1
06-14-2010, 02:00 PM
You are def all over the place with descisions......But now is the time to make a game plan.....

For example, I had the choice of building a 4.3L for the blue car when the HG blew on on the anniversary, by donating the built 3.8l to the black car.

With the new results that neibert is having I am having some regrets. ...They were going to sport the same heads So it would not have made a difference..Just a cam swap away...

Mind you money was short and still is, and hence the reason for the budget 3.8l build....Another 1k would have given me a 4.3l.

some of the guys around here say "never enough money to do it once, but enough money to do it over again."

So plan plan plan.....I think the teal car is the nice one of your set and putting on the 2.3l on that with some nice heads and a nice cam would be nice to show and run when you feel like...You dont go to the track and highway seems your only playground..The 5spd can probably provide all the fun you want or need....Then the red car can take its time. Using the Auto in traffic and daily commute would be nice on your legs.

I know you are keeping all the stock parts for it but seriously do you think you sell it for all the money is worth? We all know the car has been molested and modified...Mild or not...Are you ever going to take the time to put it back to stock when and if you move on?

I was keeping all of the stock stuff for the Anniversary but after you take the plunge into very modded I cannot picture myself parting it and putting back to stock, If I sell it will be with all the goodies.

XxSlowpokexX
06-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Heck Rico..Im never putting the teal car back to stock!...But If I sell its all there for someone else to do it..But the cam is mild enough that I can throw stock stuff back on and someoen can enjoy it even with that cam.

The larger AR (its a 2.2) will need a cowl hood which si why I dont want to throw it on teh teal car.

As far as game plan. It only takes a day to throw it back together so I am waiting till I do it right. Swapping motors I could do..But Im just not keen on doing teh work required atr this time. Right for me inow is leaning toward a decent set of heads, the meth injection, maybe the quarterhorse//Full lenght headers. Nothing crazy. My goal isnt a hp related one just getting it to run well with what I have. All I really need for now is the heads. And unless I throw on my modified steigs..Well they wont be much to talk about except that they will be set up properly. And for me I like my lil 3.8. and its steel crank.

My goals are never HP or 1/4 related. They tend to lean towards what Im willing to do at the time. Whatever it ends up being is what it will be

Ira R.
06-14-2010, 03:26 PM
You need to stop bringing these problems back to the Island with you. Now all of a sudden the red car has lost all vacuum and boost readings. It idles at about 3 and boosts to about 7.

I blame this on you. ;)

Ira

XxSlowpokexX
06-15-2010, 08:43 AM
It never ends dude..It never ends