Plugs Wires...

jpetillo

I have an '89 SC. The engine is running rough at idle and above. I was goign to change the plugs and figured ity was a good time to change wires as well. My questions...
1) What plugs are suggested?
2) What wires are suggested?
3) Is there a description of how to change the plugs? I was going to take off the upper supercharger pipe, and the air filter to throttle pipe, but it looks like it's still tough to get to the plugs. Perhaps it's best from underneath. Is it a job for the garage?

Thanks,
John

well

Autolite double plat are the suggested plugs but I think they are pretty hard to find....many people say that just using the autolite coppers is fine, I suppose it is up to you....I have heard bad things about ngk's and some others, but some people like them...I think I put single plats on and they seem to work fine. The wires are whatever you want to spend money on...they have some super awesome wires at supercoupeperformance....but they are kinda pricey, just get the stuff at autozone or whatever...if they go bad and you keep your receipt you can trade them back....as for changing them, I think that the drivers is easiest from the top and the pass from the bottom. Also you can loosen the brackets for the powersteering and ac and pull them forward to allow better access... good luck, get some bandaids, neosporin and some beer....should take about 2 hours.

ditto +1. i used double plat. autolites. and taylor wires from summit.

its gonna be fun doing a tuneup on an SC...for sure! lol

its easier to do it on a lift from the bottom.

Plugs and wires

Only buy Autolite plugs and Autolite plug wires. Also run the gap at .045-.048.
I learned the hard way by installing Bosch platinums and some premium plug wires from AutoZone and they lasted for about 6000 miles. I started enjoying the intermittent jerky misses when running at 70 mph and began the search for the problem. Naturally I was not suspect of the plugs and wires with only 6000 miles on them. I went through all of the parts in the ignition system before finally replacing the the plugs and wires. The car runs fine now.
You can buy them at rockauto.com .
Some guys say they can change plugs on the driver side from below. I chose to remove the supercharger(SC) plenums. Also if you take the plenums out, make sure they are sealed properly or it will not idle properly. It's really tight getting at the plugs. Removing the SC plenums is is a little difficult too. It would be good to have the procedure from the service manual if you've never removed the plenums. You will need a power steering pump pulley puller and installer, available at parts stores pretty cheap.
The plugs on the passenger side you can get at from below except for number one. Pull the rubber air intake pipe off and the antifreeze reservoir off to get at no. 1.
There are a lot of posts in the past about plugs and wires that reiterate what I've said above.
I definitely wouldn't trust a mechanic that is not experienced with your SC to change the plugs and wires.
If you do the job yourself, make sure you get a few turns on the plugs by hand when installing. It's easy to cross thread in the aluminum.
It definitely aint a 2.2L transverse 4 cylinder with the plugs facing you when you open the hood.
Cheers, Harold

Last edited:
Only buy Autolite plugs and Autolite plug wires. Also run the gap at .045-.048.

Cheers, Harold

Whoa, gapped at .045-.048? MAYBE on a stock motor. And that's a big maybe. Heck, that never once worked on my '94, even before I started modding it.

Autolite Coppers work fine, especially if you're running more boost. You just change the plugs more often. I usually gap them pretty low, but that's because the '94 at the time had 8% O/D, and the '95 now has an Autorotor. As far as plug wires, you dont have to stick with OEM. The Taylor Pro wires are great. I never once had an issue on my '94. The '95 I believe has Magnecor wires and has absolutely NO issues.

Guys,

Many Thanks! This is just the type of information I was looking for. The job sounds reasonable to do myself. I also have a pulley puller for when I took the PS pump off last year.

I got the top SC plenum and air filter tube off when I was eying up the job. I also saw that the car doesn't idle without the SC plenum sealed up tight.

I'll go for the plug that lasts the longest. I have limited time to work on the car.

Thanks again!

Or is there something else that may be cheaper and works just as well?

On the tubes, I use teflon (maybe?) cutouts. You can get them on eBay all the time. However, that is the ONLY place I would use though. They leak everywhere else.
I seal everything else with Copper RTV.

If you are looking at taking off the tubes, take the top tube off with the SC 'hat'. Makes things much easier, rather than trying to tighten/loosen that dang collar nut.

-Corey

For Autolite plugs, I see several part numbers...
APP2544
APP5144
APP5145
Which one?

Wires... 96136 are OEM replacement.

I apprecaite the help.

For Autolite plugs, I see several part numbers...
APP2544
APP5144
APP5145
Which one?

Wires... 96136 are OEM replacement.

I apprecaite the help.

Stock motor? I couldn't answer, however, let me find the thread in when Dave Dalke goes into detail on plugs.

-Corey

I'll be buying new plugs and wires soon. I'm planning to get Taylor wires and Autolite 103's. In my search for a good plug to use, Autolite 103's were recommended to use.

-Melon

I'll be buying new plugs and wires soon. I'm planning to get Taylor wires and Autolite 103's. In my search for a good plug to use, Autolite 103's were recommended to use.

-Melon

That's them. I'm going to have to write that number down, beacuse EVERYTIME I go to get new plugs, I have to look it back up.
I recommend the Taylor wires too...I never had one issue with them.

-Corey

Pugs

I used the APP 5144's. They are double platinum and work well.
The APP 2544's only have a half thread which Ford used for easy assembly.
The APP 5144's are the same as the 2544's with a full thread.
The APP 5145's are the same as the APP 5144's except the tips run hotter.

You would only need the hotter plugs if you are idling a lot and the tips tend to foul up. If you get the hotter plugs and didn't need them, the life will be shortened a bit and you could get pre detonation. The rule to use is to use the coolest plug possible that will burn clean. The Autolite site has a lot of good info.
The 103's are one step colder than the APP 5144's and the coldest tip available. May be good for racing or high speed driving.
Have fun,
Harold

Last edited:
Thanks - those responses help a lot. I'm getting close.

The engine is stock, and doesn't necessarily get a work out as often as it would like. The 5144's sound about right.

On the Taylor wires, I see...
http://www.summitracing.com/search/...s/Submodel/SC/Brand/Taylor-Cable/?Ns=Rank|Asc

Taylor Cable 84669 - Taylor ThunderVolt 8.2 Spark Plug Wires

Taylor Cable 74069 - Taylor Spiro-Pro Spark Plug Wire Sets

They have different number for the different colors, but are the ThunderVolts or the Spiro-Pros recommended?

Thanks - those responses help a lot. I'm getting close.

The engine is stock, and doesn't necessarily get a work out as often as it would like. The 5144's sound about right.

On the Taylor wires, I see...
http://www.summitracing.com/search/...s/Submodel/SC/Brand/Taylor-Cable/?Ns=Rank|Asc

Taylor Cable 84669 - Taylor ThunderVolt 8.2 Spark Plug Wires

Taylor Cable 74069 - Taylor Spiro-Pro Spark Plug Wire Sets

They have different number for the different colors, but are the ThunderVolts or the Spiro-Pros recommended?

Spiro-Pro's.

-Corey

My 2 cents....

For what it is worth, I would use Taylor plug wires and std Autolite copper plugs. The platinums are garbage and not worth the extra money. Gapped properly, the Autolites are fine. Sure, you may only get 50K miles from them (geesh), instead of maybe 80-100K miles on the platinums, but the spark is better on the copper than platinums. Fine wire electrode plugs of any kind are not well suited, in my humble opinion, for any forced induction vehicle.

Again, I may get crucified for this reply, but it is just my opinion. :)

For what it is worth, I would use Taylor plug wires and std Autolite copper plugs. The platinums are garbage and not worth the extra money. Gapped properly, the Autolites are fine. Sure, you may only get 50K miles from them (geesh), instead of maybe 80-100K miles on the platinums, but the spark is better on the copper than platinums. Fine wire electrode plugs of any kind are not well suited, in my humble opinion, for any forced induction vehicle.

Again, I may get crucified for this reply, but it is just my opinion. :)

I agree about the coppers. And from what I remember one member posting, the price difference is idiotic. Coppers ftw.

-Corey

I run autolite 764's like a $1.XX/plug, and taylor wires from summit racing, they work great as long as they dont get burnt from the turbo piping.

Back