Radiator fan... Taurus fan???

rad_al_

My stock fan is dead!
I've seen quite a few posts about Taurus fans being a direct plug in fit, minus the shroud. I found 1 at the junk yard today, though it didn't look like the plug on my stock fan motor, it did look like the same fan motor that an 89 SC at the junk yard had. I have a 94. I take it 89-93 rad fans have different plug ins than the 94-95. Is this correct? From what I saw, the 89SC prongs sort of form a triangle shape, where my 94SC prongs are side-by-side-by-side.
Also, from what I've read, Taurus fans move more air than SC fans. Is that because of a faster fan motor or more efficient fan blades? Will the Taurus fan blades fit on a fan motor for my 94?

I guess I'll check & make sure both fan blades are sweeping the same way. After doing some more research, O'reilly's has the stock fan motor for a 94 SC for $110... but a 95 SC fan motor is compatible with a 94 & is only $86. What's the deal? Also, both fan motors say they're compatible with a 94-97 LX. The deeper I research, the more confused I get, LOL! Here's another... My neighbor has a 95 Mustang with a 3.8 V-6. I looked at it & the plug on the fan looks like mine. According to O'reilly's, Those fans work with Taurus & Sables with the 3.0 engine & is only $70, but say nothing about being comapatible with a 94 or 95 SC.
My other alternative is to go to a place here in town that may rebuild my motor. If it's not too expensive, I may go that route just so I know it works. If it's too expensive, I'll try to contact a member here that offered to sell me an almost new motor, if I'm not too late... money is everything & he may have already sold it!

I think its the pitch on fan blades....

The taurus is different than the SC....

But that was a long time ago and my memory isn't as good as it use to be....:rolleyes:

Just verify before buying and installing....:D

I rewired an early model to work in my car. I made a post a while ago about the fans and wiring colors if you want to take a look at it. A search of my name and fan or IRCM should pull it up.

I don't get it!!!
I took my stock fan motor to get it rebuilt. The guy there said it seam ok, said he used a Sensometer??? I got back home, ran the same wires I used before from my battery to the fan... IT WORKED!?!?! When I tested it before, I could get the high speed on but not the low speed, I tried a few times... always the high working, never the low. Connected the fan back into my car & did a KOEO test. Low speed kicks on, then the high speed. ~~~??? Then I did a KOEO test & hooked a voltmeter to my wiring plug... 12.2 volts on the low & high speed plugs. So I hook the fan up to my car again & start it, waited a few minutes & the fan turns on... frustrated & somewhat happy. The only thing I did to the fan this morning was to clean it. I shook it a few times & some black dust like soot or carbon came out. I then take the air hose to it & lots came out. Is it possible something wasn't making a good connection because of all the dirt build up inside?

Could you have a problem with the ECT sensor that is resulting in erratic operation of the fan?

Take a look inside the the BUS fuse panel on the driver side under the hood. You might not like what you find, but it could be a part of your intermittent fan operation. The low and high speed use different fuses.

Bob

Back