Question about boost on my car

90turbo1

So for a while now I have been driving the car very nicely (newer rebuilt motor) and I have noticed something strange.

its a 5 speed if that matters.

1st gear doesnt seem to build boost past say 5psi (stock and auto meter guages)
but when I pull it into second holy cow the boost goes to 11 or so and the car pulls very very hard.

can some one explain this phenenom to me!!!

thanks (sorry if this is a noob question, this is my first factory super charged vehicle)

NO not spinning my tires at all.

yes the loading of engine in second gear makes sence but i was just wondering if they used some sort of boost strategy or something that I am unawear of.

There is no "Boost strategy" or wastegate or anything that "controls" the amount of boost. It is a strict relationship between the engine RPM and the amount of air the engine can efficiently use. If the amount of air being fed by the blower is greater than that used by the engine at that moment....boost pressure rises. The amount of air provides by the blower is related to how fast it is being spun by the engine rpm as well as the throttle opening at that instant.

the gears are so low in first the motor is spinning up so quickly and the throttle plate is mostly not open far enough for boost to take affect maybe like you mentioned around 5 pounds of boost till you get a bigger load on it like 2nd or 3rd gear

Last edited:
Back