B&M shifter install probs....

Akurei14

Nothin wrong with the shifter itself. But when I trued using the stock bolts to bolt the handle onto the b&m I ended up snapping the bolt off in the shifter.
So my question is did anyone else use the stock ones?
It didn't come with other ones to use, and the directions made no indication that stock ones wouldn't work. I'm slowly drilling the fugger out, and I'm sure I'll be able to solve this problem pretty easily, but I'm curious if anyone else had this problem? And yes I cleaned the threads on the bolts before I tried installing.

I think I used stock ones on my Anniversary but the provided ones on my Blue car.

Its odd that you broke yours...You did not cross thread it?

No, all was fine, and then it got really tough and a split second after it got tough, snap...
but I'm goin to just drill it out, try not to farge the threads, but if I do, I'll just put a grade 8 bolt through it, and a lock nut on the other side.

Isn't the flange of the shifter different? I seem to recall the stock shifter had some cast in mounting pads. Thus the stock shifter needs longer bolts than the B&M. I don't remember what I did, but I vaguely recall trying to reuse the stock bolts, finding a gap, not having and proper washers on hand, so switching to the bolts that came with the shifter, which were slightly shorter.

My guess is that if you take a pick or toothpick you'll find the hole in the trans housing for the bolts is not very deep at all.

this isn't those bolts. This is the bolt in the handle. The base bolts are all just fine. This 1 bolt of the 2 that holds the handle on is busted. And NO new ones where supplied in my kit. So apparently some parts didn't make it into the box?

Oh, handle threads. Well if you broke it off, there must have been something wrong with the threads that was damaging the bolt. Take the one that isn't broke and go down to the hardware store and see if you can find something in a 10.9 strength metric bolt.

ya thats what I plan to do. The one that broke, I had to drill out, and in order to get the piece out, I chunked the threads, so that's gettin a grade 8 and lock nut as I said before. I'm just miffed that I apparently didn't get the bolts I was supposed to for $230....:mad:

people have had trouble getting those bolts to stay tight, and many have drilled them out and added bolts with locking nuts. So it's not all bad you start that way.

Mine didnt come with any either. the bolts that were on mine had alen heads to them. worked good and has been on there ever since.

Hmm good to know.
Drilled out the busted one and put grade 8 hardware in.
And I must say, what a day/night difference from the stock shifter.
Mighty pleased with the end result. Well worth the headache even!

Back