M5R2 Rebuild question

pearlwhite94sc

Ok guys, lost third gear and when i go home for thanksgiving break i am gonna have to either take her to the shop for a rebuild or tackle it myself. I know how the trans comes out cause we replaced the clutch in july. I think this time it should be alot quicker although as far as rebuilding it what parts should i use (brass or fiber syncros) pros and cons. Also how difficult of a task am i getting into? I have rebuilt motorcycle Trans.'s before but never a car.

also i have the ripper and that was nice for shortening the throw but does anyone have any tricks on smoothening out the shifts i hear that the fiber syncros will take care of that but are they strong?

-chris

i just got mine rebuilt and the tranny guy there had a hard time with it, mostly becouse (well this is what he said) ford disscontinued the parts for that tranny. i'd imagine that syncros are available but if if you need a slider you might be looking for a while.

southern gear

edit for link:
Southern gear has parts available for these transmissions.. and they offer a rebuild for $150 + parts/shipping. The fiber synchros will give you a smoother shift, but it is said the brass synchros are more durable. These will make it notchy, however. It may be worth the tradeoff, as the fibers are notorius for going bad in these transmissions.. especially when raced or driven excessively hard.

Last edited:
a few other tips

yes get the brass synchros. They will last longer.

Make sure that when the flywheel is resurfaced to shim it back from the crank. The tolerances are extremely tight. Could cause you to not be able to shift once stopped. Or have a hard time doing it. Shims come in .025, .050, and .089. Only a couple of bucks. And there are plenty of syncro's available. F150 trucks use this tranny also.

The Fiber are stock in our transmission and it's already notchy. Brass makes it Notchier. (if that's even a word) These transmissions really need someone to do some re-engineering to smooth out the shifts. Maybe some gears need some TLC or something. My 5speed in my 89 ranger shifts smoother than the one in my tbird.

garmo what do you meen by shimming the flywheel i have a McLeod alluminum piece and its been in for a few months havent had a problem yet. this is the first ive heard of it.

as far as the rebuild i guess ill be going with the brass syncros. anyone have a link to a site that has the rebuild kit?

thanks
chris

flywheel

if you have the flywheel resurfaced, the flywheel is now thinner than before even if it is in thousanths. In your case you have a new flywheel so you are ok. down the road when you get it resurfaced it should be shimmed to bring back the overall thickness of the flywheel to it's orginal spec. Since we have hydraulic clutches there is no adjustment. You may not be able to disengage the clutch all the way because the clutch package is now closer to the crank. The slave cylinder only moves so far so if a lot of material is taken off you don't get enough throw out of the slave.

Back