BOSCH 044 pumps

XxSlowpokexX

Dennis brought this up in another post so I figured maybe we can talk about it. Back in the day I had two of these pumps externally feeding my turbo v8 car and it did lovely. They come stock on some very high output european cars and at the time it was my best option. When I redid my fuel system I sold them..Fast Foward to today.

These pumps are much larger then the Walbros we use however I have seen them adapted to intank situations in some ricer type cars

Has anyone tried mounting one of these in tank?

If not does anyone have acces to one and a stock SC pickup to mockup?

Im putting my car back together and looking for different options and that pump has good ratings and reliability

The main issue I have heard of those pumps is they generate a large amount of heat, thus some folks prefer the Walbros, even though they don't flow as much.

One of the issues I've seen with our tanks is the top plate doesn't provide a very large opening. It's smaller than the Mustangs which fit a 3 pump system in theirs.

Here is a link to a thread where a guy made a swirl tank with twin Walbros in a swirl tank with a third walbro used as a lift pump.http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26548 but it's all for a fuel cell.

My friend is using a fuel pump out of a lincoln Aviator which was supposedly rated to over 300 lph. He ran into an issue with it sucking all the fuel out of the basket the fuel pump assembly sits in the Mark VIII tanks faster than it could refill the tank on his vortech blown 4cam 4.6.

That is what we used on Gary's car and it's still on there, but it's externally mounted. I think we have enough room for it in our pump holding assembly. We have a fairly long reach so it would basically be a matter of adapting a fuel sock and clamping it on.

I've seen a lot of conflicting information about how much these pumps actually flow. From what I can tell it doesn't seem that they outperform the 255lph FI pump by a very wide margin at 60psi which is typically what we'd run. At 80psi it's a different story entirely. The 044 is just a much heavier duty pump.

Its just the more research I have done the more I seem to be seeing Walbro failures. Im not saying thats the issue with my car currently but I am changing the pump out regardless. On the other hand I have found very few that badmouth the 044 pump. There is conflicting data but overall it seems teh 044 is teh winner. Yes heavier and larger,,But if its more durable....And does flow a bit more with less volume loss at high PSI..well maybe its a better option. Or at least something Id be willing to try

Back