PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Question

Regul8r
06-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Are all the 89-95 SC Radiators the same?
Ok maybe different for Auto and Manual trans but...

any auto fit any year?
any stick fit any year?
Is the stick radiator just the auto but not use the tranny cooler portion?

Thanks

phils89sc
06-17-2010, 09:39 AM
The layout of the radiator is the same for all years, however, I think in 93 or 94, they swItched to a two row, plastic tank type radiator. These rads suck, plastic tank being very prone to leaks and does not cool as well due to the fact that it is a two row rad.

This info may not be completely accurate, but pretty close I thInk. I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong.

rzimmerl
06-17-2010, 11:01 AM
You can swap an auto and a 5 speed rads depends if you use the cooler or not. The other major difference is the 94-95 rads have different mounts that cannot be used on the 89-93 or vice versa.

Micahdogg
06-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Earlier rads are brass construction.

Regul8r
06-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks!

the 93 I am parting out has good radiator in it. I am going to put that in my 90.
Looks like it is a new/recently replaced one...hence the swap from my original one in the 90.

CharlieB
06-17-2010, 11:32 AM
I just put in an aluminum radiator from Radiator Express, in my daily driver. It is specifically a 89-93 radiator. I was able to adapt it to fit into a '94.

With this radiator you transfer the brackets on the drivers side which accommodate the bellows for the IC. So that leaves the passengers side upper mount to deal with. I was able to use the original bracket bolt hole in the upper radiator support, and between grinding out the slot in the bracket on the radiator and modifying a rubber bushing I had lying around, I was able to adapt the older passengers side upper mount to a '94. I also had to lengthen the slot where the clip nut goes into the radiator bracket for the passengers side upper fan shroud bolt. With those 2 items taken care of. It bolted in without much of a problem.

The big difference from the early (89-93) to the late (94-95) radiators from and interchange standpoint is the upper mounting brackets.

The real test will be driving home tonight after work. All of my SC's run the hottest in heavy fast moving traffic with the AC on, where the airflow is compromised by the vehicles in front of you. My understanding from the other discussions the radiator fan shuts off above about 45 mph. When the traffic is heavy and fast moving there is not as good of airflow due to the disruption from the cars/ trucks in front of you. The daily driver radiator was pretty bad inside and the last few days where the outside indicated temps I was seeing was 100 - 101 in heavy traffic at 65 - 70 mph. The temperature would climb to the point where the fan would come on I believe that setting is 226F.