Power Mirrors do not work

lanteau

I went to put a new mirror on my passenger door today. Bolted it on, plugged it in, went to test it. It doesn't work, neither of the mirrors work. They are completely dead. I have no other noticeable electrical problems. I can't remember the last time I adjusted my drivers side mirror, I had been missing the pass mirror for 6 months. Any ideas?

I just did this. The LG/Y wire has 8.64 volts (probably good?), the black wire is continuous with ground. Must be the switch?

yea i would think it would have more than 8.XX volts, should be battery voltage from what im seeing on the wiring diagram.

but what do you get when you operate the switch are you getting voltage to the mirrors

it loks like the P (purple) wire does the up/down and the DG (dark green) wire does left to right for the passenger side. if you arent getting anything to those then you've got a problem with the switch, if you are then its in the mirror.

For the driver side: DB(dark blue) does the up/down and R(red) does the left/right.

I have had several switches go bad. There is a thin copper foil that wears though, so you lose the contact. If you take one apart, you'll see what I mean.

Beware...junkyard ones may have the same problem! :eek:

Where do you think I should buy one? Late model restoration sells them, new I think. But 66 bucks.

a used one will probably run you around what $20? so if you go through a few of em, which you may or may not, it'll bring you up to the $60 mark...

I have a few of those switches.....

There is a splice for that particular power wire located under the DS carpet....

Corrosion might be causing you problem.....

What year is your bird.....

It is a 90. Idk I would honestly think those mirror motors would do something with 9 volts, but maybe not. I don't know why I didn't think to check whether the switch is actually applying 9 volts at the mirror plug connection.

So that yellow/green wire splices off from a connection under the DS carpet? Where exactly is this connection under the carpet? I'm currently hunting down an issue with my DS floor leaking, my carpet is getting wet right in front of the drivers seat.

I wonder if the water has accelerated corrosion in this connection under the carpet. I guess I need to check first if the mirror is actually seeing that 9 volts I'm getting at the switch. If the mirror does not have the 9 volts, its the switch, if it does, 9 volts is not sufficient and the source of that hot wire is messed up.

If you need to buy the switch, I'd still do used. If it's a u-pull type place, you could even open it up and check the "foil".

Here at pull-a-part, they're about $3 each....so I could get 22 if there were that many - for the $66 :cool:

Back