Two questiions

funderbird

1. methanol Injection I have searched around in the forum, I have found cars that have this mod on them however, no answer to how or why it works. I would like a lamen break down and the reason or gains produced with this modification.

2. What is the best and most efficiant way to keep these SC cool? I have a 2003-4 cobra radiator on my t-bird...it helped alot...But what is the best action for the SC..Does it have a higher temperture product durring high rev operation over the 4.6?

1. Methonal injection keeps intake temps down under high heat situations...i.e. wot going down the track, or on the street but only to the speed limit...usually goes off of maf voltages and injects accordingly. prevents detonation, basically is like running a higher octane. so you can runner higher boost.

I have not used it but im sure someone can chime in with a little better info on it. I run e85 in my car and the octane is supposed to be around 100, so i have not needed a meth kit yet. But im sure it would help.

2.good fan system, with it properly shrouded. I run an afco radiator, made it fit for my app. and a puller fan and a have a pusher fan in case i need it but usually dont. a lower thermostat may help you too, i runa 160, might be a little low for some, but mine never gets too hot. Maybe give a peek down there and see if there is a bunch of debris inbetween the condesor and radiator. Blockage there can affect your cooling

Thanks

I am just amazed by these cars...A few years ago my buddy had a 1992 5.0 stroked and bored. 4.11 gears and a bunch of other stuff. A SC walked away from us...My buddy started talkiing smack telling me the SC were junk...Over heated and didnt produce the same horse power as a V-8...I just enjoy learning all I can about these cars.

Im not sure where he got the over heating thing? True the oe eaton produces a ton of heat, but with fmic setups and meth injection, and better tuning thanks to alot of the guys on this forum.

this car, which like 5 years ago, saw 12 second passes/300rwhp as fast.

my griffin super capacity radiator and stock fan and stock waterpump never overheat and I dont have meth injection or an FMIC...

400hp is a good challenge with these cars so you have to really love them to want to spend the $ on building them up.

If you just want a fast car, look elsewhere for sure.

Its not an overheat issue. I run a meth kit on my PI SVO supercharged car. The point is to keep the air charge temps down. Its basicly just -20 washer fluid. It is activated via Boost (on supercharged cars, via MAF for NA cars) and sprays under positive pressure. Result is a increased octane,cooler air charge eliminating pre-detonation while keeping the combustion chamber clean and free of deposits and resulting in more horsepower.

Last edited:
injection

Does the mixture get injected into the intake similar to nitrous oxide? If so how does the water play into being injected into the motor?

The most common kit for our cars is the snow performance stage 2 kit which references MAF voltage which is better in our situation with the roots blower setup, and not by using boost.

The whole idea for us to use it is getting the intake temps down and to cut down on the amount of detonation our motors have. The side affect is the higher octane value which means we can start putting timing back in to stock levels since normally we pull timing at higher boost levels, and we can possibly increase boost as well.

There is other side effects that are of benefit, but the above ones are the main reason. A stock motor with some OD on the blower could benefit as well.

Fraser

The stock SC motor pulls timing as ACT increases. If I recall, it starts pulling timing at 120Fdegrees of ACT. A stock M90 blower on our car can have outlet temps over 300Fdegree (thus the factory intercooler).

Methanol injection will reduce intake air temps. It can drop them up to 50f degrees depending on your your configuration. In addition, the methanol adds octane, and the water (most run a 50/50 mix) cools the combustion chamber helping to control detonation.

If you want to keep your engine cool you need to have a good radiator. The stock radiator does fairly well when it's new, and terrible when it's built up deposits. The stock engine computer settings try to keep the coolant temp around 214f. So if you want it colder than that, say you add a 180 thermostat, you'll need a chip to set the values for the fans lower.

Make sure your car still has the lower air dam below the front bumper. That is there to create a low pressure area to pull air into the radiator. Magnum Powers has a chin spoiler you can add that further increases air flow to the radiator and has proven to drop coolant temps.l

Back