PDA

View Full Version : Getting closer to my predictions. Snake.....

ricardoa1
06-18-2010, 04:58 PM
http://www.muscularmustangs.com/images7/ecoboost_mustang_cobra.jpg

"A recent report by thedetroitbureau.com states that a source close to the situation has told them that Ford Motor Company is "considering using the EcoBoost (turbo) technology on a modified V8" to serve as a replacement powerplant for the aging supercharged 5.4L that currently resides in the Shelby GT500. This probably doesn't come as much of a surprise to our daily visitors as we reported early last month about an article on Pickuptrucks.com that said basically the same thing. According to that report we're told to "look for a twin turbo 5.0L V8" making its debut in the 2012 Shelby GT500.

The EcoBoost V8 is said to be code named "Road Runner" which is pretty humorous considering that the naturally aspirated 5.0L making its debut in the 2011 Mustang GT is dubbed "Coyote" and as we all know the only thing that could beat the Coyote was the Road Runner. It also points to the possibility that the Road Runner is the same basic motor with the EcoBoost system grafted on. Another little interesting tidbit came from Autoblog who disclosed that when a few Ford execs were questioned about the possibility of EcoBoost V8 Mustang most remained silent while one cracked a smile and asked "Who told you that?" Take that for what its worth.

So assuming it comes to fruition what could we expect from such a beast? Well the 2010 Taurus SHO, which makes 365hp from it's EcoBoost V6, is said to be capable of up to 600hp with tuning and more boost. If that little 3.5L can muster those numbers then it probably wouldn't take much for a 5.0L V8 with a similar turbo system to easily break the 600 horsepower mark. With that said we think its more realistic to expect around 550hp, enough to one-up the current GT500, but not too much to concern the lawyers. "

XR7 Dave
06-18-2010, 05:02 PM
I fully expect 600hp.

Brad2296
06-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Thats just beautiful! The "SSSS" of the turbo will really make the "Snake" come to life!

ricardoa1
06-18-2010, 05:05 PM
I gotta save my pennies........Maybe IRS will be in there too.

Mercutio
06-18-2010, 06:18 PM
I gotta save my pennies........Maybe IRS will be in there too.

I doubt it, but my predictions aren't always accurate. I wouldn't be surprised to see all of the next generation Mustangs fitted with an IRS, though.

XxSlowpokexX
06-18-2010, 07:18 PM
With the track numbers they are getting out of thier archaic live axle I cant imagine them throwing an IRS into one..MAYBE as an option.

I would have figured a 6.2 eco boost..But whatever they do..If it involves two turbos and a v8....DAYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Stupid Canuck
06-18-2010, 07:46 PM
The next gen 'stang was supposed to be in 2014 (50th anniversary) and share chasis components with an Australian Ford. Rumours to be marketed in Europe (probably with the Ecoboost instead of the V8), be a bit smaller and have IRS. The Aussy end of the deal got cancelled so I don't know where that leaves the Mustang.

Wonder if Ford will do some styling in the interim? Opinions?

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/2005-2010-mustang-talk/20771d1162609948-2010-mustang-concept-me-2010mustangconcept1.jpg

As far as the Ecoboost 5.0... it's already designed for boost and direct injection, just needs stronger rods and lower compression.

Akurei14
06-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Sorry guys but this rumor is old news. And just that, a rumor. The Road Runner engine program WAS a race only N/A 6.2 project. It's now long dead and gone.
Plus they just gave the blown 5.4 an aluminum block. I doubt they would go through the trouble of making a wet sump ford gt block for 1 year of production in a Stang. I'm all for forced induction (aren't we all?), but it wouldn't be till 2014 that we see any motor changes. Plus the new 5.0 doesn't even have direct injection and is making more than the rated 412, closer to 440. Add in direct injection and you have a nearly 500hp 5liter N/A motor. No need for FI there.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f767/pickuptrucks-coms-road-runner-information-wrong-477435/

95_XR7
06-19-2010, 11:34 AM
No need for FI there.

I disagree. There is always a need. :D

-Corey

Akurei14
06-19-2010, 12:35 PM
I disagree. There is always a need. :D

-Corey

Haha, I love boost, it's truely the ~~~~. But if they can get 440hp out of a 5 liter without direct injection... ~~~~ I can't wait till it does have DI...
Imagine DI and a S/C.... that's 600+ easily.
The blown 5.0 in the new GT350 already makes 550hp, without DI.
Turbos simply don't fit well in the S197 engine bay, thats why the Road Runner project was dropped, not enough room without there being too much heat. And yeah the aftermarket does it all the time, but this has to be to OEM quality standards etc....

95_XR7
06-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Haha, I love boost, it's truely the ~~~~. But if they can get 440hp out of a 5 liter without direct injection... ~~~~ I can't wait till it does have DI...
Imagine DI and a S/C.... that's 600+ easily.
The blown 5.0 in the new GT350 already makes 550hp, without DI.
Turbos simply don't fit well in the S197 engine bay, thats why the Road Runner project was dropped, not enough room without there being too much heat. And yeah the aftermarket does it all the time, but this has to be to OEM quality standards etc....

All true. The only reason I said anything, was to verify you were not losing your mind. I mean, who doesn't love boost? :)

-Corey

Akurei14
06-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Haha, my 2nd car was a 93 Park Ave Ultra, blown 3.8, so the cougar isn't my first tangle with boost. My first with rwd and a 5 speed tho. 90% stock, but still enough to give the local honda guys a hard time.

S_Mazza
06-19-2010, 05:52 PM

Well, that's a good point. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of room near the shock towers. Maybe FRPP might consider a remote turbo kit as an over-the-counter option. (And maybe it's a pipe dream. :rolleyes:)

Akurei14
06-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Well with the power gains the 3-valve 4.6 saw off single turbo applications would seemingly justify it. I could see a kit like that selling alot. Most cars with the Hellion single setup are making 420+ at the wheels. Now with alil more displacement and the awesome flowing 4v heads the new 5 liter has.... 500 would be cake...