Squealing under acceleration

sts70004

I've got an 89SC 5-speed. I've replaced all 3 belts, and idler pulleys. While that needed to be done, since they were old and worn out, it has not helped the problem. Made it worse actually... But I'm attributing that to the engine being overall quieter. I recently upgraded from my stock 89 blower to a 94/95 blower with the 89's pulley. Could it still be belt slip? Sounds only like a squeal at certain RPMs in 2nd and 3rd gear from what I can tell, there's some noise at low RPMs but its not a squeal.

stupid question... is there fluid in your supercharger? most of the time, they are shipped without any...

did you buy the cheapest belts?

cheap belts dont grip well.. i had a cheap belt running 20% od and wouldn't see any boost over 4-5psi

switch it to a gates and now my belt only slips in higher rpms. but i only changed my jack-shaft belt the sc belt is next with my setup..

i prefer the gates brands they seem to work pretty well!

I suppose its possible its the SC belt. I'll buy another one, and go with a good brand. Maybe pull the SC belt first and take it for a spin to listen.

You might want to try running it without the SC and JS belts first to help diagnose where the squealing is coming from.

For example you might find that it still squeals with just the accessory belt and it's slipping because of a bad alternator.

Well I'm pretty sure its the water pump! When i took the ACC belt off, it made no noise. I played with each pulley, and when it got the water pump it was noticeably noisy and hard to turn. Then I shook the pulley and it moved around and knocked.

Well I'm pretty sure its the water pump! When i took the ACC belt off, it made no noise. I played with each pulley, and when it got the water pump it was noticeably noisy and hard to turn. Then I shook the pulley and it moved around and knocked.

im suprized you don't have a leak if the pulley is that bad nor noticed it with the belt on..

glad you found your issue!

im suprized you don't have a leak if the pulley is that bad nor noticed it with the belt on..

glad you found your issue!

well I do have a leak but its the thermostat housing... I'm sure we've all been there haha. Just ordered a pump from RockAuto so when it gets here I hope that solves it

Back