Pushrod Question

XxSlowpokexX

Guys/Gals

I am outting my engine back together and am planning on measuring for proper pushrod lenght as I had a bit of valevetrain noise last time around.

There really are only a few options to choose from with longer pushrods. Keep in mind I will be measuring However it does seem if I go with a 7.3 I could always shim my rockers up. Using factory rockers with a regrind does 7.3 sound about right?

Like I said Im checking just curious what others have found when doing thiers

I read that. I had already ordered my pushrod lenght tool and some shims to play around with. Just wonderin what peopel ended up with because it seems all over the board

I read that. I had already ordered my pushrod lenght tool and some shims to play around with. Just wonderin what peopel ended up with because it seems all over the board

Sadly, that is primarily because most people don't know what they are doing.

With stock rocker arms you'll most likely just need LT1 pushrods, but the end result will be your choice. When using stock rockers with higher lift cams it is typical to get noise because you will be rotating the fulcrums out of their wear pattern causing a loading and unloading action on the lifter. Roller rockers can make just as much noise though, but for a different reason.

I have soem roller rockers as well that I may use. I do want to assure that I have as decent a geometry valvetrain wise as I can. Ive never really had to order a custom pushrod so this is semi new to me. Last time around I just threw it together however preload with the pushrods I had was on the edge and it ended up being noisey. I also didnt pay anymind to the geometry. This time Around I just want to get it done right. Hopefully Ill make enough power to eventually blow my stock bottom end:O)

If you have roller rockers, you use pedestal height to set geometry, and pushrod length to set preload. Pushrod length has nothing to do with geometry.

If you have roller rockers, you use pedestal height to set geometry, and pushrod length to set preload. Pushrod length has nothing to do with geometry.

Eitherway roller or not Im using shims to set geometry. What I was saying is that last time I checked for preload and it was on the edge..And ended up being noisy...And I also never checked geometry. This time I'm getting new pushrods and shimming to get a good geometry.

Back