Removing old gas

Jake

I recently bought a 93 SC that has been sitting for almost 4 years. The previous owner for whatever reason never replaced the harmonic balancer when the stock unit broke. I will be installing the new balancer tomorrow night and I'm concerned about the old fuel in the tank and lines. What is the best way to deal way this? Should I drop the tank and drain or try to siphon it out? And all other suggestions related to a car sitting this long are appreciated.
Thanks

had one that had sat for three years , jacked it up in back . took apart at filter and drained into pan. ran pump w/ key alot of times (as pump will be fired about 10 seconds each time key is turned on, relay wont stay on till computer sees oil pressure) added stabil and water remover (ice) and repeated procedure(above). install new filter .add fuel system cleaner and 5 to 10 gal premium ; or more . see if it will start . gas will evaporate over time , leaving mostly water , varnish , and rust..ect...in tank. change filter in 50 to 100 miles , has worked for me.

continous fuel pump ops

there is a contact in the EEC connector on pass side engine bay if I remember rightly you ground it and it triggers the pump relay, and pump will run continously. Did this to bleed injector rail. Might be in repair manual.
MikeH

I recently bought a 93 SC that has been sitting for almost 4 years. The previous owner for whatever reason never replaced the harmonic balancer when the stock unit broke. I will be installing the new balancer tomorrow night and I'm concerned about the old fuel in the tank and lines. What is the best way to deal way this? Should I drop the tank and drain or try to siphon it out? And all other suggestions related to a car sitting this long are appreciated.
Thanks

Easiest way is to remove the shrader valve from the test port on the fuel rail, then secure a 5 -6 ft. length of 1/4" fuel hose to the OD of the test port with a ziptie and put the other end into a gas can, then jumper the EEC test port to ground (see diagram below) and turn the key on, but don't start the motor. This will pump most of the fuel from the tank, but there will still be a couple gallons the pump can't reach on the bottom of the tank.

fuel%20pump%20test.gif

David

Thanks for the replies. I'm heading out now to get the 6' of hose. What should I do with the couple of gallons that will be left in the tank? Add a couple gallons of 100 octane?

Thanks for the replies. I'm heading out now to get the 6' of hose. What should I do with the couple of gallons that will be left in the tank? Add a couple gallons of 100 octane?

I think dilluting it with a full tank of fresh gas will be all you need to do. If you are concerned that there might be some water in the tank, just add a bottle of Heet (98% methanol) to absorb the water.

David

Back