EGR Tube

Drummer

Well Bowez and Pablo94SC braved the elements and worked my SC to death but we ran into a problem. The EGR tube broke in half just about at the top of the tube. Question is since the tube is going to be a nightmare to get out of the exhaust manifold is there some sort of tubing or anything that I can just put around both ends to clamp it off. I DO NOT want to delete the EGR. Is there some high temp enough to do this with or am I screwed?:confused:

Walker makes high temp. Silicone exhaust tubing in 1/2'' (part # 35582) and in 3/4'' (part #35583) I think it is tough enough for the job :) slip that over it and make sure thoes clamps are real tight!

Gonna look for that tonight. Any where to get it locally. By this I mean NAPA, CarQuest or something of that nature?

If they carry walker they should be able to get it no problem. It is quite expensive and some stores can only get it in 10 ft sections so you may have to by 10 feet of it. I have not found it on line for under $65.00 for a 10 ft section. Your best bet is to call around to all the auto part stores to see if they carry it. If they carry it just give them the part number I gave you for ½ or ¾ which ever one you need and ask if they can sell you just one foot of it.

Silicone will only take so much. If it is to close to the exhaust it will not last. With my other car I decided to use copper tubing and silicone.

DSC04738.jpg

This minimized the contact surface for the silicone and reduced the chance of failure. However, the tube is more than 18" from the exhaust.

If you have to place it closer then, I will suggest using some high temperature compression fittings or simply swap out the hose on a regular basis.
:D

ref.

Not sure if this makes any sense but I think the tubes are pretty light weight.

Any chance of threading a dble threaded connector ie brass into the manifold side of tube then thread the top portion to it.

You would just have to trim the top portion to maintain correct height. If off a little turn in or out to correct.

May be a 3.00 fix that looks stock and doesn't beak down over time.

May also give you a quick change feature in case egr bites it.

The tubing I suggested is made for converter air recirculation on diesel rigs and other heavy duty engine applications. It is designed to withstand 1500 degrees f. I have seen this last years on cat and Cummins rigs driving 10 hrs a day. The copper tubing is a good idea and could extend the maintenance time but with this material I do not think it is needed. However you will need to change the tubing after it becomes spongy. It could be a few years or even a few months it all comes down to how hard you drive the car and how hot your egt’s get

Back