PDA

View Full Version : Shelby Owners....Responsible?

ricardoa1
06-22-2010, 11:51 AM
So on my way to work I was tauting a GT500 with my Anniversary, but he would not give me the time of day.

So do you think Shelby owners are so high up on their horse that they dont want to be bothered by the bottom feeder cars or they are just too responsible?

warpedsc
06-22-2010, 12:24 PM
maybe he was scared or dont know how to drive the car(know a few around me. have a kickass car but cant drive it)

Toms-SC
06-22-2010, 12:25 PM
1) Price point
2) Old people

Nuff said

Roadhawg
06-22-2010, 12:29 PM
I would go with Responsible...............
I have a fairly quick SC powered Mustang and I have nothing to prove on the street.

ricardoa1
06-22-2010, 12:42 PM
1) Price point
2) Old people

Nuff said

The guy looked to be 40-45 YO. Not too old in my book.... I dont know what to think on this one.

It was black looked like he just took it out of the garage. 18in chrome wheels and flat black racing stripes, no side stripes. It was a 2009 down version. Very nice indeed.

Kurt K
06-22-2010, 12:49 PM
I suspect he thought it wasn't worth wasting gas to race your car.

frdlvr30
06-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Post some pictures of the finished Anny....I havent seen any yet. I would have run you....but then again I have never been called responsible when it comes to things like that....

frdlvr30
06-22-2010, 01:01 PM
And there was a Shelby at Pinks a couple weeks ago that spun hard in first and second out of the hole and still went 9.85.....And it looked bone stock other than drag wheels and a 8 point...I got it on Chris V's Video Camera I think.....

ricardoa1
06-22-2010, 01:10 PM
As requested, I wont turn down the offer. :D

frdlvr30
06-22-2010, 01:17 PM

Very nice. I especially like the two tone newer front bumper cover. It gives it a different look having the silver under there. Very nice work...Thats a mean looking car....I can see why he gave it a second thought...

David Neibert
06-22-2010, 01:28 PM

Ricardo,

Wow, It looks great !!

Didn't know you swapped to a late model front end. Is that the same hood you used to have on your blue car ?

David

PS: Shelby guy probably didn't think you were worthy of racing...or he just doesn't race.

rlittlep
06-22-2010, 01:39 PM

Is that a custom hood? That is SWEET! I think it looks better than the Mach 1 hoods I've seen offered.

rzimmerl
06-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Looks great and super clean paint job, but I'm not a big fan of the late model front end :cool:. (let the flaming begin on that comment:p). I love the look of the early model front end and hood.

ricardoa1
06-22-2010, 02:37 PM
That hood was donated from the blue car, Thats why it was attractive to do the conversion. At the time I could not find the parts to keep it original. I have some parts like header panel and lights. But I need a hood and bumper. Trying to find an early hood that has no rust behind around where the emblem sits, in new england is hard.

David Neibert
06-22-2010, 02:42 PM
That hood was donated from the blue car, Thats why it was attractive to do the conversion. At the time I could not find the parts to keep it original. I have some parts like header panel and lights. But I need a hood and bumper. Trying to find an early hood that has no rust behind around where the emblem sits, in new england is hard.

Lots of rust free early hoods around here. I just had two cut up and put in the scrap metal dumpster at work a couple weeks ago.

David

ThunderDave
06-22-2010, 05:19 PM
The front end definately gives it a more modern look. The hood looks great on it. Very nice looking SC.

gsp393
06-22-2010, 06:36 PM
The Shelby guy might have been pompous, or maybe he just didn't know how to speed shift.

XxSlowpokexX
06-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Back in 1991 (yah) I had a supercharged/nitrous 84 notchback. There was this guy in a new at teh time vette that laughed at me when I wanted to race him and said "I wouldnt waste my rubber on a race with that thing" So I proceeded do the irresponsable thing and provide him with a big loud smokey burnout.....He had a convertable

Mercutio
06-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Rico, I'm not sure about your Shelby owner, but he may not have been into playing on the street as you are. I'm the same way; I have no interest in racing on the street. I've had G35s and turbo S13s and stuff like that throw revs at my SC or Caddy all day long. It's not that I'm afraid to lose to them; maybe I would, maybe I wouldn't. I just don't care, that's all.

TwoToneThunder
06-22-2010, 10:28 PM
needs more pictures...:rolleyes:

ricardoa1
06-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Well on the way home I had a VW R32 play. The new ones with the exaust coming out of the center bumper. Pretty quick car but not quick enough, And thats with my AFR at 10:1 :)

I dont blame the owners of cars that dont want to go but why not leave the car at home and take a slow DD out. Or get a luxury car if you are not going to stretch the legs every once in a while. Oh well.

XxSlowpokexX
06-22-2010, 11:56 PM
I understand the whole "I'm an adult now and no longer play on the streets"....

But lets face reality. If you accelerate to fast on the street its illegal...If you drive your car to its handeling potential on the street its illegal. If you go over the speed limit its illegal. If you do any of the above for even a split second its illegal and well..Dangerous.

Drag racing merely combines a few of the above. Illegal is illegal

SO SERIOUSLY....SERIOUSLY. Who here can say they havent doen any of the above recently. Illegal is illegal. STreet racing merely combines a few of teh above illegal activities

All that being said...As Rico stated...Why even have a performance car that you drive on the street....ESPECIALLY when you cant possibly LEGALLY enjoy anything performance about it....Unless your doing somehing illegal

Let sall get hyundais eh?..And not one of them peppy ones..cuz you know..

Ddubb
06-23-2010, 01:18 AM
I do know a couple people who own Shelby's .. one of them actually is a Police Officer ... :rolleyes:

- Dan

BECERRASC
06-23-2010, 01:57 AM
I do know a couple people who own Shelby's .. one of them actually is a Police Officer ... :rolleyes:

- Dan

THAT'S THE ONES YOU SHOULD AVOID...:eek: CAUSE THEY COULD GET YOU LATER ON.... ( BEEN THERE AND DONE IT) ...:D:D:D:D....:mad:

VicRattlehead
06-23-2010, 02:08 AM
Well on the way home I had a VW R32 play. The new ones with the exaust coming out of the center bumper. Pretty quick car but not quick enough, And thats with my AFR at 10:1 :)

I dont blame the owners cars that dont want to go but why not leave the car at home and take a slow DD out. Or get a luxury car if you are not going to stretch the legs every once in a while. Oh well.

But lets face reality. If you accelerate to fast on the street its illegal...If you drive your car to its handeling potential on the street its illegal. If you go over the speed limit its illegal. If you do any of the above for even a split second its illegal and well..Dangerous.

SO SERIOUSLY....SERIOUSLY. Who here can say they havent doen any of the above recently. Illegal is illegal. STreet racing merely combines a few of teh above illegal activities

All that being said...As Rico stated...Why even have a performance car that you drive on the street....ESPECIALLY when you cant possibly LEGALLY enjoy anything performance about it....Unless your doing somehing illegal

so basicly what your both saying is if you get anything faster then a stock 4banger you have to drive it like an ~~~~~~~ and race from stoplight to stoplight every chance you get? i see.

txsc
06-23-2010, 09:34 AM

I have performance cars that posess capabilities beyond what is allowed by law. And yes, I drive these cars beyond the strictly legal limit occasionally. But I do it alone where there is little/no traffic, and the area is as appropriate as possible. My cars are all meticuously maintained, and I'm pretty confident in my ability to drive each car, and know where the "hariy edge" is. In other words, I control as many variables as can possibly be controlled. That said, things can still happen, but I'm comfortable with and accept that level of risk.

Factor in some @$$clown next to you in a car of unknown condition, with a driver of unknown skill, in an area and time not of your choosing, and the variables grow exponentially; to a level I can't justify. So, street racing isn't just "combining a few illegal activities", it exponentially introduces a whole host of variables that make it untenable. I have way too much to loose to play that silly game.

The Shelby guy spent a ton of money on that car, knows what it's capable of, and doesn't feel the need to advertise it to random people on the road. I suspect his enjoying his car is alot like mine.

JD

Roadhawg
06-23-2010, 10:05 AM
All that being said...As Rico stated...Why even have a performance car that you drive on the street....ESPECIALLY when you cant possibly LEGALLY enjoy anything performance about it....Unless your doing somehing illegal.

I disagree,
You can go to the Dragstrip to test you and your car's ability Legally
You can take your car to Autocross events to test you and your car's ability Legally.

XR7Kurt
06-23-2010, 10:06 AM
GT500s have how much horsepower? 500 or 550? I bet this is the most powerful car by far that a lot of the owners have had and a lot of them haven't had them very long so it makes sense to me that they might not all want to be racing every fast car on the street. The amount of high horsepower cars from the factory out on the streets really incredible to me, I remember when 300hp was a big deal.

ricardoa1
06-23-2010, 10:50 AM
I disagree,
You can take your car to Autocross events to test you and your car's ability Legally.

That was my point, leave it at home take it out when you go racing, bring a trailer and all that jazz. Why bring it to the highway where it will get stone chipped and its windshield cracked by semi trucks. Too much to loose if you are playing it safe.

To each thier own. If I owned that car I would buy stocks in GoodYear cause you know Id be going tru a set every month or so. When I had my Terminator I know I had fun with it and enjoyed it every safe chance I had.

This shelby was the 500HP version. So maybe 375-400 WHP. I was bound to get creamed with my 300-350maybe Whp set up

XxSlowpokexX
06-23-2010, 10:56 AM
so basicly what your both saying is if you get anything faster then a stock 4banger you have to drive it like an ~~~~~~~ and race from stoplight to stoplight every chance you get? i see.

Not at all...Because apparently Rico is saying he doesnt do that at all...Its more like why have one if you arent going to enjoy it. Im saying youre (not you in particular) are full of it if you say you dont.

I disagree,
You can take your car to Autocross events to test you and your car's ability Legally..

Sure you can but that wasnt my point. I for one dont even have a drag strip within hours of my house. My point was that we all liek performance and we are all guilty of what I had mentioned. I;d call bull on anyone that said otherwise.

I have performance cars that posess capabilities beyond what is allowed by law. And yes, I drive these cars beyond the strictly legal limit occasionally. But I do it alone where there is little/no traffic, and the area is as appropriate as possible. My cars are all meticuously maintained, and I'm pretty confident in my ability to drive each car, and know where the "hariy edge" is. In other words, I control as many variables as can possibly be controlled. That said, things can still happen, but I'm comfortable with and accept that level of risk

Factor in some @$$clown next to you in a car of unknown condition, with a driver of unknown skill, in an area and time not of your choosing, and the variables grow exponentially; to a level I can't justify. So, street racing isn't just "combining a few illegal activities", it exponentially introduces a whole host of variables that make it untenable. I have way too much to loose to play that silly game.

The Shelby guy spent a ton of money on that car, knows what it's capable of, and doesn't feel the need to advertise it to random people on the road. I suspect his enjoying his car is alot like mine.

JD ...

Again that wasnt my point. My point was that we all more then likely do what I had mentioned weather we street race or not. You talk about risks. Yes there are different level of risks. But they are all risks and all illegal. And more then likely can affect someone else. You talk about variables there are many as well. So many I couldnt begin to go into all of them. Point is its still "WRONG" And you see im not calling the kettle black because I know I do the same. And I like to think in my older age Im more responsible about it. Which I am. But still...

And if we want to talk about organized street racing and risks involved. Most everyone is there because they want to be there. They are all willing to take that risk. What we geneally see on TV involves some kids doing something stupid on a highway or main road that is a high traffic area and is as far from an organized stret racing event as it can be.

As far as the Shelby owner is concerned. Perhaps he doesnt go to that extreme, perhaps hes "more responsible". Perhaps he doesnt want to ruin his mustang (how I dont know). Or perhaps hes like me and doesnt always press his luck. I rarely go for it...But sometimes...

David Neibert
06-23-2010, 12:33 PM
The faster my cars get, the slower I drive them. When my 91 just had headers, gears, shift kit and a 5% pulley...I was always on the gas hard and racing pretty much any car that pulled away from a stoplight a little to quick. It was like I needed to prove to the other cars on the road that this little 6 banger can blow your doors off.

Fast forward 10 years and the car is much faster, but I no longer feel the need to prove it to everyone. I still get on the go pedal pretty hard at least once everytime I drive it, just to make sure it's still running strong, but very seldom is there ever another car involved. Partly because I don't want to get caught street racing, and partly because I can't usually beat anything on the street because the damn tires go up in smoke if I get on the gas pedal too hard.

Now if a guy in a GT500 or a Vette pulled along side at a stoplight and started acting like he was Mr. fast and accelerating a little to briskly when the light turned green, I'd look around and if I didn't see any police or traffic blocking our path, I'd absolutely positively go for it......then let off at about 70 mph no matter who was in front. If it was a kid in a Honda, I'd just ignore him.

I would never race anyone at speeds above 70 mph on the street, because I'm afraid of what might happen if something went wrong. The fastest I've ever been in both of my SCs was while in 3rd gear on the track.

David

XxSlowpokexX
06-23-2010, 02:29 PM
The faster my cars get, the slower I drive them. When my 91 just had headers, gears, shift kit and a 5% pulley...I was always on the gas hard and racing pretty much any car that pulled away from a stoplight a little to quick. It was like I needed to prove to the other cars on the road that this little 6 banger can blow your doors off.

Fast forward 10 years and the car is much faster, but I no longer feel the need to prove it to everyone. I still get on the go pedal pretty hard at least once everytime I drive it, just to make sure it's still running strong, but very seldom is there ever another car involved. Partly because I don't want to get caught street racing, and partly because I can't usually beat anything on the street because the damn tires go up in smoke if I get on the gas pedal too hard.

Now if a guy in a GT500 or a Vette pulled along side at a stoplight and started acting like he was Mr. fast and accelerating a little to briskly when the light turned green, I'd look around and if I didn't see any police or traffic blocking our path, I'd absolutely positively go for it......then let off at about 70 mph no matter who was in front. If it was a kid in a Honda, I'd just ignore him.

I would never race anyone at speeds above 70 mph on the street, because I'm afraid of what might happen if something went wrong. The fastest I've ever been in both of my SCs was while in 3rd gear on the track.

David

I think age has allot to do with it (not saying your old). Im pretty much the same way except when I was a kid I had a 10 sec car I drove on the street..And looked for trouble.

Now I just enjoy what the car is..And when approached by something such as a Cobra or gt500 etc...If I think a chance is to be had..Well you know...Im 18 again

90turbo1
06-23-2010, 08:47 PM
look at it this way. when you look at a 45-50 year old the mustang was a big deal in the 60's probably when he was finishing up high school and dreaming about owning a car like that. flash forward to now he bought his dream car, not to race or because of the power it has and trust me most of the people that buy those cars could care less about another car wanting to race them. he is just happy driving around a car that reminds him of what he wanted when he was younger.

so yes I would have to say he was being responsible at that time. but who knows maybee he bolts some slicks on it and tears up a drag strip on the weekends..... (probably not but its a good thought)

I get all sorts of imports and crap trying to get me to race when I drive my 1979 RX7 5.0 around but i dont race them its more fun to not and piss them off a bit.... exactly like what he did to you..

danekejt
06-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Very very good point turbo.

he could have felt like that vette owner and thought why waste the rubber. some but not all of these cars are now getting to be 20yrs old. they were hot 20yrs ago but now they are nothing(in stock form that is). I have loved all my sc's that i've owned but if i want to feel the kick in the pants after hitting the go fast peddle i leave the bird at home and take the gto.

John
91SC

ricardoa1
07-03-2010, 01:50 AM
Today I got a chance to run on the highway one of these So called monster GT500s,

We were playing a bit lane changing and what not. Well this stock looking shelby had a young guy maybe 35-40. I was in front getting him excited. I allow him to get near me and he gives me the cool car nod. Then he proceeds to gun it a bit to show off then he leaned on it. Hammer was dropped and ready for action. I had to get behind him do to a vehicle. When clear I dipped to the next lane and proceeded to pass him a fairly good rate and put about 3 cars on him in the end. All from behind him :D
Race was from 70 to top of 4th ;)

I take my hand out and give him thumbs. He pull up next to me and asked me "What you have in that thing" I said a supercharged V6, he goes "cool" I asked him if he had the stock supercharger in there, I dont think he heard me very well, he goes "Yeah its supercharged 500 HP" I go COOL. :rolleyes: Then he says "well enjoy the rest of your journey". I said thanks.

So there you have it. A supercoupe can take down a 500 HP GT500.

My smile was from ear to ear. I felt like a kid again.

Sorry no video to prove it. But I dont care if you call the BS flag on me.
I am super happy after that.

92sclikenew
07-03-2010, 08:05 AM
its not that fast of a car my friend was tellin me i need to find one to beat also.:rolleyes:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_C9zanLcpXY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_C9zanLcpXY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Today I got a chance to run on the highway one of these So called monster GT500s,

We were playing a bit lane changing and what not. Well this stock looking shelby had a young guy maybe 35-40. I was in front getting him excited. I allow him to get near me and he gives me the cool car nod. Then he proceeds to gun it a bit to show off then he leaned on it. Hammer was dropped and ready for action. I had to get behind him do to a vehicle. When clear I dipped to the next lane and proceeded to pass him a fairly good rate and put about 3 cars on him in the end. All from behind him :D
Race was from 70 to top of 4th ;)

I take my hand out and give him thumbs. He pull up next to me and asked me "What you have in that thing" I said a supercharged V6, he goes "cool" I asked him if he had the stock supercharger in there, I dont think he heard me very well, he goes "Yeah its supercharged 500 HP" I go COOL. :rolleyes: Then he says "well enjoy the rest of your journey". I said thanks.

So there you have it. A supercoupe can take down a 500 HP GT500.

My smile was from ear to ear. I felt like a kid again.

I am super happy after that.

90blkbrd
07-03-2010, 09:19 AM
But I dont care if you call the BS flag on me.

Beat Stang.

XR7Kurt
07-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Why would there be a BS flag? It's obviously a true story where a really fast SC whipped a guy in a GT500 that needed to downshift. Of course my car is so slow he could beat me in 6th gear from a stop.:p

90turbo1
07-03-2010, 01:18 PM
its not that fast of a car my friend was tellin me i need to find one to beat also.:rolleyes:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_C9zanLcpXY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_C9zanLcpXY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I hate that video. that is the dumbest thing I have seen drag racing two cars on what looks like a gravel road. no wonder why the "rock hard tires" on the mustang couldnt hook up did you see the pea gravel looking crap all over the track.

ha ha