Cobra 13" caliper ques.

talonhead

Just picked up a set of 2003 PBR calipers for the cobra/bullitt/mach1.
I don't have a shop manual that covers these models, and these calipers look 'strange' to me. They do not have sliders like I'm used to seeing.
How the heck do these things go on and stay together?
Note: don't have rotors/pads as yet, could be I'm not seeing the full picture here.
Anyone got pics or instructions they can post/email?
Thanks MikeH

The calipers are actually guided by the pads. When assembling you put the side WITHOUT the rattle clips into the bracket first then the side with the clips. Once done you slide in the pin and clip and your ready to go

I'm in the process of putting these on my car now. There is a pin on one side of the caliper that attaches it to the bracket, and like XR7 4.6 said the pads regulate the caliper so there is no need for sliders.

If you are putting these on your MN-12 you will have to clearance the brake line fitting, as it doesn't fit on the Cobra caliper. I ground down the fitting a tad and it bolted right up.

Good luck!

parts

I have the caliper and bracket (2 ea.)
Now for the trip to Ford to get 2 pr. of Banjo bolts M10x1.0.
MikeH

prep

Bring one of the calipers with you. I ended up with a pair of $13 banjo bolts when I told them year and model.
If the rotors have not been ground and still show lathe grooves then be sure to hit them with an random orbital sander first. Nice rotors are actually ground with a honing stone after the lathe.
Be sure to "season" the new rotors properly. Take the car around the block and take it from 30 -> 0 MPH about 6 times, and park it till the rotor temps return to ambient. The idea is to warm and cool them before you heat the heck out of them. I usually do this a few times when I change rotors. Helps prevent rotor warp.
Don't be afraid to wash the new rotors with soap and water before install, if you don't sand them, then hit them with brake cleaner if you soil them during install. Some rotors have protective coatings that only dissolve in soap and water.
Put a little silicon grease where the pads seat into the calipers at each end, and lube the slider pin too.
You're gonna love the new brakes!

Cheers
MB

Dealer prices!!!!!!! Holy cow!!!!!

Went to local Ford dealer to see about banjo bolts and Hub retaining nuts.
ZERO for 2! AND the banjos were $27 apeice and the nuts were $15 each.

Found the banjos at NAPA $4 and change for the M10x1.0 and $3 and small change for the M10.15.
The '02 GT calipers have the 1.0's and the '03 SVT have the 1.5's.
Saw the nuts at Rock auto will try them when it comes time.
MikeH

I bought my banjo bolts online. I had the fine threaded ones. They wanted WAY TO MUCH at ford

Also listings seemed innacurate for the banjos..

Back