Removing Trim/molding along roof

flynbrd

I need to remove the trim/molding from the sides of the front windshield running along the roof and down the back windshield. I was told that the front may need to be drilled out?( 3 rivets on each side, how are they accessed) what size drill bit? what are the best tools for getting this done?

Thanks

After you take off the rubber weatherstripping, you will see the rivets .. there are several of them. I usually use a chisel and hammer since it is quick and easy .. any gouges or scrapes will be hidden after the weatherstrip is re-installed.

- Dan

i was under the understanding that the trim should not be seperated at the rear of the door. it should be removed in one piece.

also the pics on post 11 do not show the bolt that is holding the rear section to the car. inside the rear headliner is a plug under that there is a nut that holds the trim to rear of car.

be also carefull along the rear glass as i have seen rear glass cracks with improper tool usage to pry them out of clips.

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the pictures.....

You really should pony up the $15.00 to join and get full access to all the features of this site....:cool:

What?

inside the rear headliner is a plug under that there is a nut that holds the trim to rear of car.

What are you talking about?

There is nothing inside the car you need to get to to remove this molding.

The front molding was already explained properly. The rear piece going down each side of the rear window is removed as follows:
1. Unclip it around the windows, just like the front. Keep an eye on the clips as some may stay on the window pin and others will come off attached to the molding.
2. The area where the rear piece seperates from the front piece will need to slide off toward the rear of the car. It may need some encouragement, so be careful not to bend it if you plan on re-using it. There is a sliding lock that holds the molding to the car
3. May need some tape on the top of car to prevent scratching it while removing this piece.

I have done 3 of these and watched 2 glass companies do it twice and they all come off the same. Just need to be patient.

Good Luck
Smitty

inside the rear headliner is a plug under that there is a nut that holds the trim to rear of car.

What are you talking about?

There is nothing inside the car you need to get to to remove this molding.

The front molding was already explained properly. The rear piece going down each side of the rear window is removed as follows:
1. Unclip it around the windows, just like the front. Keep an eye on the clips as some may stay on the window pin and others will come off attached to the molding.
2. The area where the rear piece seperates from the front piece will need to slide off toward the rear of the car. It may need some encouragement, so be careful not to bend it if you plan on re-using it. There is a sliding lock that holds the molding to the car
3. May need some tape on the top of car to prevent scratching it while removing this piece.

I have done 3 of these and watched 2 glass companies do it twice and they all come off the same. Just need to be patient.

Good Luck
Smitty

Hey Smitty,

I've done a couple of them that do have the bolt under the headliner near the rear window----If memory serves me though they were 89-90 models they may have changed that on later ones............Dan

All models are the same....

The side trim that goes from the B pillar to the C pillar and down along the lateral portion of the rear window is held in place with a 9mm nut....

There is an access port on the interior sail panel near the rear courtesy light (it is about the size of a quarter)....

Gently pry the cover off the port and you will see the nut that holds that portion of the trim to the body....

Here is a picture (courtesy of Randell Burnett) with the location of the trim access ports highlighted in red.....

Attachments

• 95 LX sail panels.JPG
    95 LX sail panels.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I wish they actually processed memberships after a few moths :rolleyes:
Well, sending in your cash for the good of the community should mean something, but the reality is, not really. When the sheriff is indifferent to member (ergo myself)/non-member (ergo forum punks) and decides that everyone gets the same treatment, then they don't really value it. For that reason, I haven't and won't renewed my membership. My contribution(s) don't matter. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Perhaps

This may be true on early model SC's, but all the ones I have ever done I have never used the access hole on the sail panel to remove any nut or bolt to remove molding.

Now I will say these have all been on 94-95 models, so perhaps they got rid of it in these models, but I swear I have never had to get into that access panel to remove the window reveal molding for the rear window.

I will double check tonight when I get home and pull it off just for the fun of it, to see truth about this one.

Like I said this will be on a 95 year model.

Regards,
Smitty

How it going,

Hey Smitty,

I've done a couple of them that do have the bolt under the headliner near the rear window----If memory serves me though they were 89-90 models they may have changed that on later ones............Dan

Hey Dan,
How is that crazy crew from KY doing these days, missed the shootout this year so I didn't see Anthony & Sally and their crew.

Anyway, It must be on early models, like very early models! Like I said I have never seen this on the 94 and 95 models I own.

Take care, good to hear your getting around better.

Smitty

This may be true on early model SC's, but all the ones I have ever done I have never used the access hole on the sail panel to remove any nut or bolt to remove molding.

Now I will say these have all been on 94-95 models, so perhaps they got rid of it in these models, but I swear I have never had to get into that access panel to remove the window reveal molding for the rear window.

I will double check tonight when I get home and pull it off just for the fun of it, to see truth about this one.

Like I said this will be on a 95 year model.

Regards,
Smitty

94/95's do not have any bolt on the roof mouldings, I've taken mine off on both of my cars several times.

Back