PDA

View Full Version : Search inconclusive - highest power on stock IC?

speedingminivan
06-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Curious as to who runs a stock single IC in their built cars and what kind of numbers they can support. Found in one thread (one of the few informative threads that came up in search) that someone said you could run 12's with a stock IC, wondering if anyone can support that with data as that'd be some decent power for a car as heavy as a T-bird.

Thanks

Mike8675309
06-23-2010, 09:32 PM
I'm pretty sure there are some folks close to 300rwhp with a stock intercooler. I managed 275hp/343tq and a best 13.709 @ 104.25 with a 89 blower and a stock single intercooler on my motor.

since the upgraded blower and intercooler, other powtrain issues have kept me off the dyno and limited my performance at the track. My one time at the track with the same motor as the above numbers, but with a new blower (2.0l twin screw) and air/liquid intercooler was 13.507 at 114.88mph. Wheel spin and a failed track lock had me with 3.0 60 foot times.

fturner
06-23-2010, 10:59 PM
A stock intercooler isn't enough for a stock SC, let alone anything that makes any decent power. Sure the car runs, but the ACT's will be so high that a ton of timing is pulled, the higher temp will cause more detonation which will trigger the knock sensor which will pull even more timing..... so

lets do some math...

- ACT's at 120F (most stock SC's will see this temp just cruising around with some spurts on the go peddle) the EEC starts pulling timing, which amounts to 8 degrees by 180F.

- On my car when it was close to stock, was detonating enough to trigger the knock sensor when the ACT's where at 147F so timing was starting to get pulled with most of the time full retard at 8 degrees.

- Stock WOT timing at 5000 rpm's commands 26 degrees, so at 150F ACT and an active knock sensor the car was getting 14 degrees of timing.

- I was seeing 150F at about the 1/8 mile point of the track.

The car was making about 247rwhp at the time, and I was running mid 14's.

To wrap up.... the stock IC is crap even for a stock SC if one wants to try to race.

Fraser

Hock
06-24-2010, 12:58 AM
A stock intercooler isn't enough for a stock SC, let alone anything that makes any decent power. Sure the car runs, but the ACT's will be so high that a ton of timing is pulled, the higher temp will cause more detonation which will trigger the knock sensor which will pull even more timing..... so

lets do some math...

- ACT's at 120F (most stock SC's will see this temp just cruising around with some spurts on the go peddle) the EEC starts pulling timing, which amounts to 8 degrees by 180F.

- On my car when it was close to stock, was detonating enough to trigger the knock sensor when the ACT's where at 147F so timing was starting to get pulled with most of the time full retard at 8 degrees.

- Stock WOT timing at 5000 rpm's commands 26 degrees, so at 150F ACT and an active knock sensor the car was getting 14 degrees of timing.

- I was seeing 150F at about the 1/8 mile point of the track.

The car was making about 247rwhp at the time, and I was running mid 14's.

To wrap up.... the stock IC is crap even for a stock SC if one wants to try to race.

Fraser

Agreed!

I was running a stock intercooler till a few weeks ago. Now I haven't got any datalog time with it yet do to brake issue but I can say that as the end of the 1/4 with the stock IC I was seeing ACT's over 160 degrees. An IC fan will help keep it cool and cool faster but once you really get on it the temp will more than likely just run away on you.

Mike8675309
06-24-2010, 07:19 AM
When I had the stock intercooler I was using a dual nozzle methanol injection system to control ACT's.

XR7 Dave
06-24-2010, 07:35 AM
I've made 300rwhp more than once. But controlling heat is arguably the biggest issue that SC's face, so addressing that should be a high priority. An IC doesn't limit HP.

speedingminivan
06-24-2010, 11:06 AM
For the record I am curious about this for using the IC on a different car. I'm bolting an M90 (early unit with stock pulley) to my Porsche 944 and was originally going to use an AWIC off a Jaguar but it may not fit under the hood so well (limited space in there) so I'm looking at alternatives and seeing 3 SC IC's at the boneyard laying around in good shape got me thinking.

I'm only going for maybe 280HP at the crank but will be running an E85/gas mix with total octane around 97 and my own custom fuel and ignition tune that I can change on the fly.

Think the IC would support that? Or maybe a "double IC" mod, like I've seen once or twice before, where you take two IC's and connect them widthwise (not stacking them like some of you do)? I have a good amount of space to work with.

rzimmerl
06-24-2010, 11:10 AM
If you have a good amount of space, just mock up a FMIC and be done with it.

speedingminivan
06-26-2010, 01:10 AM
I ask regarding the SC IC's because there are 3 of them laying around the local boneyard in great shape and they are like $20 apiece IIRC.