Who has done their own AOD rebuilds?

Evan_90SC

I'm thinking about rebuilding my AOD soon, and thought I'd start getting some ideas and input now... I'd be curious to know what products people have bought when doing their own rebuilds, and what all I should need.

The AOD rebuild kit on SCP looks like it should have most of the internals that I'd need...? http://supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?partId=211

And from what I've read, it looks like I'll have to get a lentech valve body :rolleyes: ... Which one is the best bang for the buck?... Probably just the "Street Cruiser"?... It's going to be attached to a mostly stock motor... for now. Or maybe just a shift kit would suit me better?

The reason for the rebuild is due to the losing of OD, so I'm sure my OD band is toast, among other things.

Any input or info about your rebuilds is appreciated!

check out badshoeproductions.com he has the best how to video ever put together. You'll spend about 100-200 on tools depending on how good you hunt. the AOD seal protector kit for installing seals is a must!. Also check out silverfoxtransmission, or clickclickracing.com.

I can help you with just about any of the information you need. I use valvebodies from silverfox in every aod I build anymore.
Alan

Dirtyd0g is THE transmission guy around here. I'd give him a call and listen to his recommendations closely. If my Lentech ever ~~~~ the bed I'll be sending it to him.

Bringing this thread back up... I have yet to start on my rebuild, havent even gotten the trans out of the car yet, mostly because of time and money. But my goal is to have it out and start on it within the next month because I really want to have it done before summer. I do have a few more questions though...

I'm thinking the seal installers and a bench mount are the main special tools I will need...? Where is the best place to get a bench mount for an AOD? I've searched online without any luck. And I'll probably buy the AOD overhaul video from bad shoe productions, just to be sure I dont screw anything up :rolleyes:

I think I'm going to go with the rebuild kit from scp that I listed above, and probably the SPT-1 stage 1 valve body from silverfox. Can anyone think of other things I may need? I think I'll be good on parts, and can get more along the way if I need to... Its the tools I will need to do the job that I'm more worried about.

Thanks

Tools you will need, snap ring pliers, both the pin type an dthe more expensive ring expanders. I bought my set from snap on, I'm sure there are othermakes out there but everyone I know uses those. Here is the set I bought. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...&group_ID=3578&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog
The bench mount I bought mine from dacco who will not sell to you. You can buy from atec-trans-tool.com
The fixture is actually a gm fixture, you will need a small piece of 2x4 or somethign similar to extend the case lock screw.
http://atec-trans-tool.com/t-0156-b-gm-transmissionholdingfixturewbase.aspx
Other things you will need are an H-gauge for setting end clearance. http://atec-trans-tool.com/t-0030-a-universal-frontpumpclearancegauge-hgauge.aspx
A snap ring press, there are many models and they do get much nicer. I use one of these for aod and 4r70w builds. http://atec-trans-tool.com/t-0158-sp-snapressclutchspringcompressor.aspx

You need to get it torn down and get a complete list before you order a simple rebuild kit thinking it will be everything you need.
Alan

Something else to consider is the cause of your failure and how to prevent it. Use of an aode sun shell will allow you to install a late 4r70w reverse drum and the much better mechanical diode, install a spiral retainer on that and you have the best possible setup. That also allows for use of a 2 inch wide band. Install a high carbon band and you now have the best overdrive. While you are there you can get the intermediate pressure plate from a 4r70w which allows you to use the 4 plate 4r70w frictions set instead of the paper lined 3 plate aod set. The forward drum is the only drum that you will be fine not changing to 4r70w. Using the raybestos stage 1 frictions you will handle up to 400hp without adding anything to it. The better setup is the 4r70w drum which is stamped, splines are hardened and holds larger frictions. The cast direct drum in most aod's is prone to stripping out the splines and the aod grade frictions are red paper crap. Again use the 4r70w high energy frictions and drum. You can increase that stack to 6 which makes you safe for 400hp easily. With a modified pressure plate you can take it to 7 which i consider the max of any stock drum. I stack hardened and 300m splined drums to 8 frictions for extreme power, but you don't need that and it is very expensive. I prefer to buy an aod rebuild kit and a 4r70w friction kit. I actually buy my frictions in bulk per friction. All of the parts I mentioned are relatively inexpensive, but when you add it up you have a good chunk of money in the transmission however the tools are going to cost more than the transmission will. I mounted my transmission fixture on an engine stand which leaves the bench free to build parts on and lay everything out. You will need to check bearing clearances when you change these parts so the H gauge is critical. If the transmission is too loose or too tight it will blow bearings and die.
Alan

I actually have access to all of the tools that you mentioned. I was mostly concerned about the bench mount, but I do have access to a GM mount already. I thought a ford aod mount might be different, but to hear that a GM mount will work is great.

I would definitely like to strengthen the trans, although, the motor is never going to see much more than stock hp, so I don't need to go too extreme with it. If I want to get all the parts you're talking about, it sounds like I'm gonna have to peice a lot of stuff together... Where do you buy all your internals from?

Most of the places I deal with do not sell to the public and deliver to me. You can try bulkpart.com.
I hear the mine doesn't need all that story all the time, then watch peopel be mad when they saved $100 in parts and have to do it again in 6 months. I don't build stock aod's for any performance cars at all and Supercoupes are performance cars. We drive them hard and expect more from them. Stock aod's do not handle it well. If you want me to get you a cost on all the parts send me a message. The aode sun shell is getting hard to come by.
Alan

Back