hhm, so is there a way to find out which refridgerant was on my AC system?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
So i'm trying to get the AC in my 93 to work (and 94, AND 95 :mad:..but for now lets focus on the 93). I am told from the previous owner (another sccoa member) that the AC worked when he had the car and that the owner before him said that the car was converted to r134A already.

With this in mind, i re-connected the compressor (it was disconencted) bought a can of r134a and to my surprice the fittings in the hoses are still R12 style. I also don't see any stickers or anything indicating R134a conversion. Is there a way I can find out? Perhaps different color fluid? Distinct smell?

I know if you're converting from r12 to r134a its pretty much a given to change the accumulator and compressor, but if the car alerady had r134a then i can simply focus on O rings and inspecting the individual pieces to try to find any leaks...then vacuum/refill.

Any assistance appreciated.

I also don't see any stickers or anything indicating R134a conversion. Is there a way I can find out? Perhaps different color fluid?
If it doesn't have the correct fittings, then it wasn't converted.
I know if you're converting from r12 to r134a its pretty much a given to change the accumulator and compressor, but if the car alerady had r134a then i can simply focus on O rings and inspecting the individual pieces to try to find any leaks...then vacuum/refill.
As for what to do, search the forums as there has been a lot of discussion on what to do and how. You do not need to change the compressor, but you should use a new accumulator.

Last edited:
If the car has not been converted then just fill the system with pure propane. It mixes with r12 and it does not need any thing to be converted. I have done this on 2 cars of my owne and was very satisfied.
You will need a side puncture tap for r134a, R134a retro fit fittings, and about ½ the amount of PURE propane to fill your system. The propane is also compatible with PAG and Easter oils.
New accumulator is strongly sugested as said above!

If the car has not been converted then just fill the system with pure propane. It mixes with r12 and it does not need any thing to be converted. I have done this on 2 cars of my owne and was very satisfied.
You will need a side puncture tap for r134a, R134a retro fit fittings, and about ½ the amount of PURE propane to fill your system. The propane is also compatible with PAG and Easter oils.
New accumulator is strongly sugested as said above!

Im assuming you are using the propane to find the leak? Or are you using it as freon?

Last edited:
I use it as refrigerant. Hc-12 is just propane and butane mixed. It works grate. It is flamible so be carefull

I did allot of research on this in high school for a 5 page report. My teacher did not believe me so I had to prove her wrong. It can be dangerous if handled wrong. I don’t have my material in front of me at this moment but I THINK 6 oz of pure propane is equivalent to 12 or 15 oz of CFC R-12.

All refrigerants used in automobiles have been flammable. the difference has been the temp at which they ignite. All of them would need a specific air/fuel ratio to start to ignite.

You just need to be aware of that when working on them. If the connectors are not there for the R134, you should really have the system sucked down and if necessary new oil added compatible with R134.

Back