S/C Issue

Hock

After 2 weeks of sitting to install a front mount I took my 92 out for a drive. No more than a mile down the road I started to get a rattling noise. Sounded like a rod and the engine did struggle to stay running. Well I went back to the garage and popped the hood and the S/C sounded pretty noisy. This morning I went back and pulled the belt and there is some play in it. The fluid is good, a bit low but good. I have a solid coupler installed. So I'm not sure what's going to be the most likely issue, bearings or coupler. The coupler is about a year old and is supposed to be an Eaton authorized part so I would think it wouldn't have gone out this quick.

Now as far as I know there should be zero play in these S/C's with a solid coupler. If that's the case then I need to pull the S/C and find what needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
Well I got it apart today. The coupler looked good but the is about a 1/16th of bearing play between the rotors and the bearing plate. I would think thats too much. What do you guys think?

Come on, there has to be someone on this forum that knows something about this.

If not point me in the correct direction, just don't say search cause I did that last night and did not find the answers I'm looking for.

I've had the rattling noise on quite a few SCs and when I checked the coupler, there was little to no play....

Replaced the couplers and all was fine.....

From my experience, you really can't tell if a coupler is bad just by looking at it....

What kind of noise were you hearing....

I've had the rattling noise on quite a few SCs and when I checked the coupler, there was little to no play....

Replaced the couplers and all was fine.....

From my experience, you really can't tell if a coupler is bad just by looking at it....

What kind of noise were you hearing....

It kinda sounds like a rattling noise though its somewhat hard to hear over my exhaust.

After I had everything apart today I put the snout on the rotor pack to check for coupler play and found none while holding the rotors to keep them from moving.

Now there is very slight scoring on the bearing plate and none on the on the housing so I'm not sure if the bearings are the issue. Also I felt no play in the snout.

Mike,

This is what I needed, thanks. I may have overlooked this on that thread, I'm pretty sure I looked at that one too. I will check this tonight when I go back to the garage to put brakes on my stupid Talon.

Thanks for the information Dave. Here's an e-mail that Charles sent me with some specs.

Chris

I have had a couple failures like this however the causes were defective rotor packs. I am coming up with some inspection procedures to help my customers identify defective rotors before they are installed in the case. I think you will find the rotor that hit the rear of the case has a loose front bearing or it has more clearance in the front then in the back. The rotors should not move forward or rearward when pushing on them. The clearance between the rear of the rotor should be .012" to .017".

Charles

So it is definitely the rotor bearings. They have all kinds of play.

I there any anyone else besides Magnum Powers and Magnuson that rebuilds these?

Just a thought but is your air bypass functioning properly? I had a similar problem and my SC was making all kinds of noise and it was basically a brand new MPx...it turned out I noticed my bypass diaphram was leaking and not opening the bypass...made air at idle go through the SC causing lots of noise and roughness

Back