PDA

View Full Version : Baumann TCS to run 4R70W or AODE

Flex
06-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Would anyone be interested in a group buy for the Baumann TCS transmission controller and wiring harness, normally $550, for $425? This will allow 89-93 TBirds to upgrade to the 4R70W and bypass a lot of headaches and costs of tranny builds.

Apparently Baumann is about to release a new version of the controller and they are letting the old models with a harness go for what the controller used to cost by itself.

The are three guys on the Corall Mustang forum plus myself allready on board. I can't post there but am in contact with the gentleman that arranged the first buy a few months back. Let me know if there is any interest.

Kurt K
06-28-2010, 08:54 AM
Would anyone be interested in a group buy for the Baumann TCS transmission controller and wiring harness, normally $550, for $425? This will allow 89-93 TBirds to upgrade to the 4R70W and bypass a lot of headaches and costs of tranny builds.

Apparently Baumann is about to release a new version of the controller and they are letting the old models with a harness go for what the controller used to cost by itself.

The are three guys on the Corall Mustang forum plus myself allready on board. I can't post there but am in contact with the gentleman that arranged the first buy a few months back. Let me know if there is any interest.

If this is the same old version that was tried in my car and another member's car over 10 years ago, I'd stay away....far away.

This product (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94833&highlight=baumannator) has a proven track record in a Super Coupe.

Flex
06-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Kurt,

I have a 2001 4R70W from a Mustang which does not have the problems associated with the early 94/95 cases. There have been several people on the TCCOA and various Mustang forums that have run the Baumann with no issue.

The PCS controller an harness are double the money. Not economically palateable when you are on a budget.

Kurt K
06-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Kurt,

I have a 2001 4R70W from a Mustang which does not have the problems associated with the early 94/95 cases. There have been several people on the TCCOA and various Mustang forums that have run the Baumann with no issue.

The PCS controller an harness are double the money. Not economically palateable when you are on a budget.It wasn't a problem related to early 4r70w cases, it was related to the high torque that the roots SC creates at low rpms. The old Baumannators controlled line pressure based on throttle position. On a SC, the line pressure was never high enough to hold the low-rpm torque. Maybe things are different now, but I would definitely check into it before buying. Don't get me wrong, I was pumped to try the Baumann controller when it first came out.

As for the PCS controller costing twice as much.....you usually get what you pay for.

flynbrd
06-29-2010, 12:12 AM
I'm game.. on sidenote about the line pressure and low end torque. The controller can be programed for your app. If the line pressure was too low then adjust the control to increase it. I would never do this but if your cars light, you can have the controller to lockup the converter at mid point of second gear.

Kurt K
06-29-2010, 07:47 AM
I'm game.. on sidenote about the line pressure and low end torque. The controller can be programed for your app. If the line pressure was too low then adjust the control to increase it. I would never do this but if your cars light, you can have the controller to lockup the converter at mid point of second gear.Maybe that functionality is there now, but it wasn't on the first generation controller that I had....or at least the shop that was doing all of the work to my car couldn't figure it out.

I look forward to seeing success stories.

Flex
06-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Maybe that functionality is there now, but it wasn't on the first generation controller that I had....or at least the shop that was doing all of the work to my car couldn't figure it out.

I look forward to seeing success stories.

Kurt,

I have to wonder if the shop did not make mistakes. One of the guys on TCCOA pm'd me that he screwed up his first try and burned up his first transmission. I hope not, the last thing I need is to fry a third slush box.

Kurt K
06-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Kurt,

I have to wonder if the shop did not make mistakes. One of the guys on TCCOA pm'd me that he screwed up his first try and burned up his first transmission. I hope not, the last thing I need is to fry a third slush box.
Well, the shop rebuilt the 4r70w more than 4 times trying to get the baumannator to work in my car.....they ate the cost of that, so I know they were doing everything they thought they could do after the first couple of times.

Flex
07-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Well I spoke to Stephen from the Corral on the point you raised Kurt. Apparently that was most likely the first generation TCS which required the line pressure be adjusted properly.

Apparently all from the first group purchase are running theirs without any issues. I just want to get my car running properly without burning up crappy AOD's.

67Mustangman
08-03-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm ready to buy one. let me know.

Flex
08-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Hey guys,

I just spoke to Karl at BE. They have the new Optishift controller out and available http://www.optishift.com/.

He is going to see what he can do about a group price so I need to know if anyone would want tof ork out the extra money to upgrade to the newer controller. Let me know.

Flex
08-29-2010, 03:23 PM
flynbrd and 67Mustangman the TCS is no longer produced and is sold out so the Optishift is all that is available from Baumann.

There are 3 of us confirmed for the Optishift for the extra $85. If the numbers get high enough, Karl may offer us a better price break. Let me know if you are still interested. Thanks guys.

flynbrd
08-31-2010, 12:39 AM
sure I'm still game, any idea on time frame here for payment? days? weeks? months?

Flex
08-31-2010, 12:55 AM
They are ready to go now. We have 4 now so we have met his requirement of at least 3. I am hoping that if we get a few more, he may give us a better price break.

Karl wants all to send their contact information and application to me. I will then send the names to him and he will contact everyone personally and make arrangements for payment, shipping etc. So pm me your info bro.

Flex
09-19-2010, 03:50 PM
If anyone is interested, I managed to get Karl to drop the price to $460 with the harness for 6 or more buyers. At least count, there were 6. Let me know if you want to get on board.

Anyone interested PM or email me your contact info. My email is bkolic@aim.com.

decipha
09-19-2010, 06:36 PM
why not just swap to a newer ecu and let the computer control the trans?

Flex
09-19-2010, 07:15 PM
We have been over this in the other thread. You can't just swap ECU's. The harnesses are different and would not only require changing out the electrical harnesses, but everything that plugs into them. Not exactly a cheap proposition.

Flex
09-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Guys, I now have 3 members from the Classic Bronco board in on the buy in a single day. If 67Mustangman and flynbrd are in for sure, that would make 10 in the buy and I will try to get Karl to reduce the price even further.

If you guys are in, please send me your contact info via pm or my email so that I can ad you to the list. At $460, we are already $150 of the listed price.

Flex
09-24-2010, 02:35 AM
Gentleman,

Alright, this is the best I could do. We are now at $445.

Please read this carefully. I will let everyone know once I have sent the list to Karl (imminently) and you will then need to contact him and provide the specific info he has requested.

Remember that as long as your name is on the list, you will be included in the buy for those of us that may not yet have the transmission.

Directly from Karl.

"Hello Branko,

That sounds great. Thank you for your work in coordinating all of this!

At $150 off, our margins are beginning to get thin, but if you can get at least 12 buyers together, we can drop the price by another $15, which will cover UPS Ground shipping within the continental US. Since most of you are connected with the forums, we are more than willing to offer this group buy pricing for OptiShift as an introductory promotion. We will continue to offer group buy pricing in the future, but please note that out of fairness to our resellers, we cannot offer the same level of discounts on future group buys.

The only caveat is that we require all of the order details with address and billing info to be together and ready by October 5th, at the latest. We will be able to ship everything out shortly thereafter. Also, if you can get together a list of the transmission applications as soon as possible, then we can have everything ready for quick shipment. If you can have everyone email the order information listed below to me, then that would be great. Since email is not secure, it would be best to have everyone call or fax in their credit card info (card number, name, billing address, expiration date, and CVV code), instead of emailing it. Please have everyone provide the following information to get things started.

Order Information:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Name
Address
Phone Number
email
Desired shipping method
Transmission type
Transmission year
Transmission connector details:
For 4R70W, we need to know if the solenoid connector on the transmission itself is white or black, and if the 2-pin connector on the output shaft speed sensor is square or oval shaped.
For E4OD/4R100, we need to know if it has the early (2-latch) solenoid body connector, or the late, single-latch connector.
For all Fords, we need to know if it has an analog range sensor (aka. PRNDL switch), with 8 pins on the sensor, and 6 or 8 harness wires, or a digital range sensor, with 11 sensor pins and at least 9 harness wires.

Vehicle application and year
Engine type: EFI, carbureted, mechanical diesel, or electronic diesel.

Thanks again and have a great afternoon!

Best Regards,

Karl Baumann
Baumann Electronic Controls, LLC."

Flex
09-24-2010, 02:37 AM
If anyone that posted an interest wants to get in, you must let me know before October 5th. We are currently at 15 so we are well past the requirement of 12. Thanks guys.

Flex
09-28-2010, 12:46 PM
No takers? Currently 18 on the list and a few are asking me to send it so that they can get the controller.

Flex
10-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Well, as I have not heard back from anyone who expressed an interest, I have sent the list in.

decipha
10-26-2010, 06:20 PM
We have been over this in the other thread. You can't just swap ECU's. The harnesses are different and would not only require changing out the electrical harnesses, but everything that plugs into them. Not exactly a cheap proposition.

really, i guess the 4r70w i swapped in my 91 is functioning by god? only 2 pins needed to be moved, took all of 20 seconds ;)

im not trying to bash by any means im just letting you know your options, it can be done cheaper, i have $250 in my trans swap and that's including the cost of the transmission and the ecu.

Flex
10-26-2010, 07:27 PM
No worries. I asked several times and was told that in order to use a 94-95 ECU, the wiring harness would also need to be changed. Last time was in January 2008.

decipha
01-10-2011, 11:42 PM
thats because they didn't know any better at that time

heres the thread, when i added it up it came to $350

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117751