ABS problems help plz?

samishii

Hey guys. So I recently got my power steering fixed, as it was out for quite some time. And with it being Hydro-Boost, or whatever... The brakes also we out.

Well with power steering now working, the brakes didn't feel any different up until yesterday as pressing the brake pedal, the pedal was squishy half way down, then "Hardness" then if I pressed hard to stop the car. The result was squeeling tires...

Do you guys think the booster is toast? The power steering was out for like a year as I had a leak, and put it off fixing. sigh... =\

Check to see if your ABS pump motor is running.....

Press the brake pedal 5 - 6 times then turn the ignition to run (do not start engine).....

Get out as listen for your pump motor (it will be right below the black accumulator just to the left of the master cylinder)....

If it isn't running it could be a bad ABS pump motor relay, bad ABS pump motor, or bad ABS pressure switch....

These are not hydroboost systems. They have an electric motor that pressurizes the system. Try like suggested and post back.

If it isn't running it could be a bad ABS pump motor relay, bad ABS pump motor, or bad ABS pressure switch....

the relay would be the best... easiest...
how bad is it for the switch and pump to change out?

IMHO it is best to remove the entire master cylinder assembly to service the pump motor or pressure switch.......

Its not too bad if you have done it a few times.....;) :rolleyes:

Do a search for ABS problems and find some of my posts on removal of the master cylinder assembly....

I tried pumping the breaks and turning the ignition to on, and I didn't hear anything coming from under the hood. (save for the ignition click)

I checked the relay for the ABS, it looks good... Are those 3 modules seriously screwed in? lol

So where is the pump / switch located. My chilton wouldn't tell me where the switch was and I haven't found the ABS pump in the book. =\

Also, I just checked the fuses inside the car, and noticed that there appears to be a little bit of fluid coming down the boot that goes into the master cylinder.
I checked the floor and there don't seem to have been leaking on the floor (yet) ...

Possibly the master cylinder going bad? :(

Ok. Brakes were squishy due to needing a bleed...

Power braking is still out though, atleast I can stop the car now.

If the brakes are hard, you must have no pressure in the accumulator. So the question is, is the accumulator failing to hold pressure, or is the motor failing to build pressure? If the motor is not running when you first turn the key on ("BZZZZZZZZZ....click!"), then either you have a bad relay, bad pressure switch, or bad motor. (That doesn't mean the accumulator is good, but just that it isn't causing this problem.)

First test the relay. Take it out and touch the terminals with a 9V battery. It should click. If that is bad, replace it. If it seems to be okay, put it back in. Then refer to further instructions on the 35thatr.org website for testing the pressure switch. If that is bad, replace it. If those are both good, then maybe the motor is bad. Refer to those instructions on 35thatr.org for testing it.

As for the fluid, you might have a leaking seal in the MC. You could end up needing a rebuilt unit sometime in the future.

Just cause the relay clicks, doesn't mean its good. The 1 for my sunroof clicked, but when you put ameter on it, no power. Took the relay cover off and found that the contact wasn't making contact. Bent it a little bit and works fine. The only reason I took it apart was because a new 1 was over $65. It was a BMW part.

Just cause the relay clicks, doesn't mean its good. The 1 for my sunroof clicked, but when you put ameter on it, no power. Took the relay cover off and found that the contact wasn't making contact. Bent it a little bit and works fine. The only reason I took it apart was because a new 1 was over $65. It was a BMW part.

True. I figured that the subsequent tests should involve checking for power out of the relay. But a "click" test would be a good place to start, because no click, no power.

Back