95sc 5 speed rebuild restore project

macius8

SCCoA Member
Hey guys, I'm a fairly new guy here on the forums. Bought my first sc a few months ago with blown head-gaskets. Was fortunate enough to find one in fairly decent shape, especially the undercarriage, in my area. Finally started work on the engine a couple weeks ago, but can only get a couple of hours in a week, so its a slow process. After the motor is out, torn apart and hopefully sent to Dave Dalke :), I'll be looking to completely repaint the car, take care of any visible rust under the car, and refresh the interior. Suspension will most likely be a winter project. I'll be using this thread for most of my questions. I will try to post some pictures of the process as well.
For the first question, where do I attach the engine hoist chains to pull the engine. Was looking for the "lift eyes" but there is none. Is it all right to wrap the chains around the exhaust manifolds? I'll be pulling the engine with the tranny attached. Quick answers appreciated, looking to pull the motor tomorrow.

Cant answer your question about the lift eyes, was wondering the same myself as Im about to endevor something similar myself. Just wanted to be the first to say welcome and good luck.

You talk as if you got the car from Michigan, do they use salt anywhere else. I think we're the only morons that do :rolleyes:

Oh and we defininatly want pics. They might do you some good on the reassembly part too

If you haven't already, buy all the factory literature for your car before you begin:

Factory Service Manual (FSM)
Engine/Emmissions-Diagnosis (also known as Volume H Manual)
Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting manual (EVTM)
Specifications
Wiring Schematics

You can probably score all of them for around $100 on eBay. They'll save you lots more than that in damage, frustration, and lost time.

If you own a Chilton's or Haynes manual, throw it away before you begin, or use it to prop up a short table leg.

Regarding your engine pull, I would suggest removing some accessories and using the bolt holes to attach your chain. That way, there's no chance of slipping, and you won't risk damaging the manifolds, heads or valve covers.

JD

Last edited:
I'm from Chicago. I think the salt may be worse than Michigan:mad: But the car itelf in not as bad as some T-birds I've seen around the area. I think the car may have came from the south.

Already got the Factory Service Manual, it'll probably save my ~~~ a few times, love the detail in it.
Not too sure about the accesorry mouting holes. Would like to support the enigne somewhere in the middle, perhaps a little towards the rear since the trasmission will be attached and the center of mass will be further back. In the end I'll probably find myself wrapping the engine aorund with some straps to balance it.

I removed the blower and used the manifold bolt holes with longer bolts. There are multiple on each side to choose a weight distribution point.

I pulled engine only so not sure of overall weight vs thread depth but no damage with engine only.

Just FYI, the lift eyes would have been mounted on the exhaust manifold studs on either side. NA cars seem to have come with both lift eyes installed, but I think my SCs have only had the driver's side lift eye. Maybe they removed it after dropping the engine in to allow clearance for other stuff? I dunno.

You should be able to find these things in the junkyard if you really want them.

Will be ordering new fuel pump. Any other recommendations for the fuel system upgrades to support about 400hp?
Thanks

Will be ordering new fuel pump. Any other recommendations for the fuel system upgrades to support about 400hp?
Thanks

Probably need to post your question on the "Performance" or "Technical" forums to get the best answer. This forum is reserved for questions related to the restoration of these cars. Sounds like you're making performance upgrades.

JD

Back