its alive!!!this sucks...sputtered and then stalled now with codes

92sclikenew

started with merging traffic with a 1/2 throttle snap.

car backfired and sputtered to a stalled wont start now (does crank over)

i have checked for spark it does have some... but its an orange color.

i have another dis and crank sensor to try and i think a coil pack. but.. i don't think that's my issue..

the fuel pump runs and isnt very old. maybe 5k miles.

i did check under hood fuses and the 5amp memory fuse was popped i replaced it and no change and the fuse didnt pop.

HB is also fine . i think its still solid but i dont know how to check if it spun..

mods are in sig. car ran perfect till for 6months.

think i can get any codes for this?

Last edited:
well for the heck of it because i have the parts on hand.
i changed the dis and coil no luck..

pulled the pass side 3 plugs and they were wet with fuel? assume thats from tryin.. i cleaned them up and was hoping those 3 would give me encouragement to pull the other side since its more difficult. all it will do is get this sputter. barely even a try.

any suggestions? i guess my next step maybe a compression test?

Last edited:
If it goes out then it should be ok. How are all the connections to the IC etc?

Fraser

good

its nickleman60s old setup.. the pipes dont move they are so tightly fitted

that was my first check thats kind of what it made me think of when it happen.. unless one of the couplers split on the bottom side and i cant see it?

this is not an up to date pic but you get the idea
garage_attachment.php

Based on your described symptoms I would check that HB CLOSELY.

yea the bhj is the only thing im slacking... im starting to lean to this.. but that also only has around 5k on it. when i put the motor in the car i bought a NOS stock balancer...:rolleyes:

suggestions what to look for. because i grabbed the crank pulley and i made the front end of the whole car shake and it felt solid and when you crank the car everything still goes around as it should..

Last edited:
If the shift light goes out during crank, it's not the balancer. If it has spark but doesn't fire that sounds a little like an out of time condition. Did you try starting it without the cam sensor? 3 tries should do it.

If the shift light goes out during crank, it's not the balancer. If it has spark but doesn't fire that sounds a little like an out of time condition. Did you try starting it without the cam sensor? 3 tries should do it.

the up shift light does go out..

havnt tried the cam sensor. does kind of seem out of time. because if you crack the throttle you hear a light popping type sound.

hmm im gonna try this here in a few

Last edited:
well i went out and pulled the cam sensor and the first crank it sputtered...

so i decided to pull all the plugs. all were soaked in fuel i burnt them and am in the process of reinstalling them.

and i checked again to make 100% sure the up shift light shuts off while cranking.

well i got the plugs back in.. tried to start it and it like sputtered popped in the exhaust.. only did so on the first crank the other 2 was nothing. so i assume its not cam sensor..

im wondering if it bad gas. i did get gas in the morning yesterday and drove to work about 20miles then about 1/2 way home to when this happen. could it have taken that long?

Doesn't explain your reported symptom of a weak spark does it?

no it dont.. what would cause a weak spark i know the parts i had work. the dis i tried i just took off 3 weeks ago because i noticed it was cracked.

the coil pack i took off to test another but i never put the one i had on the car back on. which is the one i switched to.

maybe my testing was poor for checking spark. all i did was pull a wire off and put an older good plug in the end and lay the plug on some metal. and then cranked the car over.

and the HB bolt is still in the center so that's a plus right?

couple cranks got out pulled the number 1 plug and its soaked with fuel...

im really leaning to bad gas... how can i tell for sure..

Isn't this an almost daily driver. Premium would take a long time to degrade to worthless.

Sounds like ignition with the amount of plug fouling your experiencing.

Isn't this an almost daily driver. Premium would take a long time to degrade to worthless.

Sounds like ignition with the amount of plug fouling your experiencing.

yea i drive it quite a bit. im just wondering if the gas i put in the morning this happen is why this happen?

what is left

dis has been changed
coil has been changed
we have spark so the crank sensor is working
i unhooked the cam sensor like xr7dave suggested no change
HB seems fine and the up shift light shuts off when cranking
fuel pump runs

i delt with something like this on a friends van. im 1/2 debating on going to get some kind of additive for the gas like we did for there van, which made it run.

I did see on another post that heavy fouling can kill a plug.

Maybe burning them off was not enough to bring them back.

Back