Crank but no start

volksjeff

First off I'll start off by saying, yes I'm new here and to SC's. But I'm very familiar with all types of cars. My problem is this...replaced the harmonic balancer, crank position sensor and battery. Car cranks over fine and fast, but belches out of the intake (throttle body) and can hear out the exhaust. That's all that happens. I've spent the last couple days scouring this site and doing what others suggested..still nothing. Just got back from Oreily's (they give military discount! ) and had them test my dis module. Tested bad! I got fuel pressure, doesn't spray crazy but it does come out the valve. I will change the filter tomorrow, but still; I think it's the dis module??? I also tried to start with the cam position sensor unplugged and also tried cranking more than 6 times, nothing. Does any of you (the experts) agree with me...get a new dis and cross my fingers?
Sorry, forgot to mention the up shift light does go out with cranking.
Thanks everyone ahead of time for your help. I want to drive this dang car...bad!

First off I'll start off by saying, yes I'm new here and to SC's. But I'm very familiar with all types of cars. My problem is this...replaced the harmonic balancer, crank position sensor and battery. Car cranks over fine and fast, but belches out of the intake (throttle body) and can hear out the exhaust. That's all that happens. I've spent the last couple days scouring this site and doing what others suggested..still nothing. Just got back from Oreily's (they give military discount! ) and had them test my dis module. Tested bad! I got fuel pressure, doesn't spray crazy but it does come out the valve. I will change the filter tomorrow, but still; I think it's the dis module??? I also tried to start with the cam position sensor unplugged and also tried cranking more than 6 times, nothing. Does any of you (the experts) agree with me...get a new dis and cross my fingers?
Sorry, forgot to mention the up shift light does go out with cranking.
Thanks everyone ahead of time for your help. I want to drive this dang car...bad!

If your not getting spark and they tested your Ignition module bad than you should replace that and try again. Than again I had that same problem just till about 5 hrs. ago it turn out to be the ignition switch that wasen't making good contact. Check your voltage on your coil pack see what it is check fuses and relays just to be sure. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the lift, yea just waiting for tomorrow to get the dis module..checked all fuses and they're good. Anyone know if the key less entry pads on the doors will prevent ignition? I'm just sayin....
I was getting some kind of spark (backfires etc.) just wrong or no timing involved (Oreily's said the module was bad). Haven't worked on a Ford in a good 15yrs. Been air cooled VW's and Chevys for the last 20. I love distributors! alot easier to work on!!

Thanks for the lift, yea just waiting for tomorrow to get the dis module..checked all fuses and they're good. Anyone know if the key less entry pads on the doors will prevent ignition? I'm just sayin....
I was getting some kind of spark (backfires etc.) just wrong or no timing involved (Oreily's said the module was bad). Haven't worked on a Ford in a good 15yrs. Been air cooled VW's and Chevys for the last 20. I love distributors! alot easier to work on!!

Points and condenser every 6000 miles... forget about it. The only real way to test the fuel pressure is with a proper gage with the engine running. Back Fire is fuel in the exhaust system which means your spark is missing. DIS modules are weird on this car. What year is it? If it has one that's mounted on the bracket by the A/C, be sure to use the proper heat displacing compound or you'll have issues, right away.

1990 ANNIVERSARY EDITION, 5 SPEED. yes I know about the "goo" and as soon as the dang thing starts I'll check the pressure. I hope this module is the issue, like I said I really want to drive this thing. looks fun! I bought the dang thing for 600 bucks, with the normal broken harmonic balancer and not running. Any other dis modules cross reference over to work on the SC's? Junk yards don't have any SC's here. I'm in the army and only get paid twice a month and not that much....

1990 ANNIVERSARY EDITION, 5 SPEED. yes I know about the "goo" and as soon as the dang thing starts I'll check the pressure. I hope this module is the issue, like I said I really want to drive this thing. looks fun! I bought the dang thing for 600 bucks, with the normal broken harmonic balancer and not running. Any other dis modules cross reference over to work on the SC's? Junk yards don't have any SC's here. I'm in the army and only get paid twice a month and not that much....

If it runs for $600 you got a fun car. Don't expect much and save your money. If it won't run you could make triple off of it in parts easy but that would raise a lot of eyebrows around here and we all would like to see you restore :p. There's pleanty of people that would sell you a DIS. Put up something in the want adds on this site.

ive never had a bad dis yet so im thinking unplug cam sensor and see if it starts , that got me home once , if you hear it in intake and exhaust check for fouled plugs bad wires wires out of order or bad timing chain

Update ! Got a dis at the junkyard(sho 3.2l) and tested it at oriely's, tested good. Put it on and nothing! Noticed pressure or blow back through the throttle body. Already took of the cam sensor and tried to start with same results. Wire order is correct also. All i can think of now is timing chain skipped and valves are opening in the wrong time. Anybody got any ideas on this new finding??

Just a thought here, but are you sure the balancer is installed correctly....

Sometimes that small key doesn't get matched to the keyway in the balancer and could through the timing off......

ive never had timing chain issues in 250 k miles but it is possible
. im thinking more like harmonic balancer or fuel pressure regulator or crank sensor

thanks
ralph

Still egtting to learn these engines myself.. but you said you feel pressure or something infront of the throttle body??
If it has a maf, which im sure it does. make sure all your intakle pipes are connected. If it doesnt sence any airflow it will not turn on the fuel pump. I dont know if it stops ignition/coils though.. Try it if you havent. Hope it works for ya.

any codes? fuel pump turned on at first by computer and held by oil pressure as far has i know.should only be checked w/gauge. if i had to guess cam or crank sens. good luck w/prob

Code 54 only, unplugged the cam sensor and already tried to start it with no luck. Also shift light goes out while cranking so crank position sensor should be good. I checked the gap on the ring and sensor and it looks good. Just need to go rent the tool to check the pressure today. I'll post what i find later. Thanks to all, i just want this thing to run......so i can have some fun around this base.

YEP, HERE IT IS....9lbs OF FUEL PRESSURE, THATS ALL I GOT WITH THE TESTER. TRIED IT TWICE AND GOT THE SAME READING. GONNA REPLACE THE FILTER AND RETRY THE TESTING.

UPDATE, UPDATE....39lbs OF PRESSURE WITH CRANKING AND NEW FILTER. STILL NO START! BACK FIRE ONLY....I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO CHECK OR DO. GETTING MAD AT THIS CAR NOW. COULD THE CRANK SENSOR BE BAD AND NOT CAUSE THE SHIFT LIGHT TO STAY ON? WHILE CRANKING THE LIGHT GOES OUT, THIS USUALLY MEANS THE SENSOR IS GOOD??? I DON'T KNOW ANYMORE!! AS I SAID EARLIER, I'VE UNPLUGED THE CAM SENSOR AND CRANKED IT OVER 6 TIMES TO SEE IF IT "HITS" THE RIGHT SPOT, BUT NOTHING. SPRAYED STARTING FLUID INTO THE THROTTLE BODY AND STILL NO START. WHAT'S UP?? HELP!
SOMEONE................................

Probably not the ignition expert your looking for but-

Check for spark at coil

Confirm and go to plug for spark.

Pull a plug and check for fouling

Just the basics but you have fuel.

Going on 1 month of the car sitting in the front yard not starting. I'm going to pull the plugs today. If this isn't the problem i don't know what else to do. I don't want to sell a 35th anniversary edition 5 speed......but if i can't figure it out i can't have a non running car parked on base here. Is there anyone that can recommend someone in the louisville, fort knox area that knows what they are doing on sc's? A last resort is to pay someone, i just don't have a lot of money.

Still no start

Still working on this car, I can't give up on her. pulled plugs and all were fouled, smells like gas and not oil. but I also checked for spark and I got it...changed all plugs out and checked timing. I took the car to the local ford dealership to hook up to the computer. all sensors checked out good, I brought it home and did a compression check and all were good. everything is as it's meant to be under the hood, still won't start.cps id good, pulley is good, cam ps is good, spark is good...I've been through all the posts here and try everything I can but still no start. any crazy suggestions or ideas?? please help me, I'm still here!

You mentioned broken HB and a fuel filter change to get fuel pressure up.

Did this car sit for xtended time prior to ownership.

If tank is low possibly bad gas and moisture.

Dbl check a couple of new plugs and see if they are getting fouled off.

Paul

Just a thought here. My buddy has had the same problem with his car..he rebuilt engine and after getting everything back together it wouldn't start. He took it to the dealership and they found that the plate on the back of the harmonic balancer got bent and it can throw off timing. So I would suggest taking a look at that

Back